A Clone High revival is coming to HBO Max

Originally published at: A Clone High revival is coming to HBO Max | Boing Boing

1 Like

So certain that Cleopatra would accept JFK’s advances, are we?
(“hm… ‘clone high…’ was Cleopatra’s mummy ever found?”)

1 Like

I enjoyed this when…I was in college. Jeez. Okay but why is this a thing at HBO with all the good things they’ve cancelled recently.

3 Likes

Because it’s the guy who made Scrubs and Cougartown behind it? Probably that.

I am a little curious to see how they approach it today - does anyone alive today know what Mr. Belvedere was even?

2 Likes

I can guarantee you most college-age individuals would have no clue what that refers to, nor would they probably even know Clone High existed.

1 Like

I believe Daria started on B&B, not Liquid TV…

5 Likes

Yes, but I was alluding to the wildly experimental nature of Liquid TV’s properties. Aeon Flux and The Head were a trip and laid the groundwork for the range of animation MTV went on to produce.

I guess I couldve worded it better. My bad. Lol

3 Likes

Happens to all of us, dear sir!

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

1 Like

I’ll bring the beards
clone high animation GIF

1 Like

I’m really surprised… it feels like HBO warner/discovery has completely abandoned animation. Cartoon Network is bare bones (they aren’t totally dead - that report was exaggerated but they dont seem to be starting anything new) Maybe because it’s being made by an outside company?

I’ll be surprised if the series even gets on screens. I’ll be shocked if they actually follow through with season 2.

It didn’t get a second season originally so that’s not a strech.

Maybe. But as a GenXer, why was it assumed back in the day that I knew about Gilligan’s Island, or Bewitched, or I Dream of Jeanie? Shows in the 1980s and even 1990s assumed that people my age knew about characters from 1960s sitcoms and could make references freely to them even if they were before our time. We either got the reference (or what was possible even before the Web and Wikipedia) we could learn what these characters were from. Today of course it is trivial to look up such things.

1 Like

A couple of reasons. Primarily, different values/culture among the parents of GenX. Their (my generation’s) parents were more unified in their media exposure, and passed that onto their kids through anecdotes, shared watching, etc. etc.

Secondly, even as kids, we didn’t have The Internet. We didn’t have this spiderweb fracturing of hyper-specific targeted content that flows around isolated bubbles. There is no network TV aligning people anymore, even popular shows that stream are scattered across dozens of separate subscriptions that can be watched asynchronously.

I’m not saying the past limitations and resulting unity were GOOD for people’s development, but it explains why I know a lot about early television (50’s and 60’) as well as contemporary media, but today’s students mostly just know what comes to them via their phones, or whatever streaming services their parents happen to have subscriptions to.

1 Like

It depended on your local TV, but in my neck of the woods, these specific programs were in syndication and reruns, often after school or between the news hour and prime time. Considering that they were 10-20 years old at that point, I see it as how “kids today” are finding shows we saw in the 90s/00s as first-run. Everything old is (repackaged, repeated) new again.

My own Gen X culture gap was in Bugs Bunny cartoons, trying to understand the “celebrity caricature” episodes where movie and radio stars of the era made an appearance. I could identify Sinatra – a young Sinatra – and knew of Bing Crosby and Abbot & Costello… but all the other references were lost to me. The gap was too wide.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.