HBO Max has decided to kick Metalocalypse out of the band

Originally published at: HBO Max has decided to kick Metalocalypse out of the band | Boing Boing

2 Likes
5 Likes

“That is so Max!”
“Stop trying to make Max happen! It’s not going to happen.”

8 Likes

I’d like to introduce you all to an app I’ve found that works really well for downloading and ripping from almost all streaming platforms except paramount. But of course you should only use it for legit non-pirate reasons! https://keepstreams.com/

4 Likes

These streaming services are all breaking their implicit contract to keep content available forever. Now that it has been broken, even though I’ve been against pirating, I see it as one of the better options for keeping content forever. Purchasing can be an option as well, but these shows often do not have any way to purchase them.

8 Likes

I haven’t really kept up with the trends, but out of curiosity, has this (new?) entity done anything right?

5 Likes

So far it seems they’ve pretty much killed Cartoon Network in all but name, cancelled a ton of stuff, and zazlav just got booed at a commencement speech. My best hope is that they sell the whole company again to someone better because these people suck.

3 Likes

There’s no such thing as “purchasing” an online asset. Too many things can go wrong; the company who holds it can go out of business, they can sell it to someone else not bound by the terms of the sale; your access is subject to whatever limits, bandwidth, or throttling they have; you are almost certainly prohibited from making copies even though you have fair use access; you may only be able to access it from specific limited hardware; etc.

The closest approximation would be “a restricted, alterable license to access certain data. The license does not yet have a not-after date restriction.”

1 Like

Metalocalypse was really rad, but Dexter’s Lab and Space Ghost Coast to Coast are, like, historically important and fantastic pieces of TV animation. Culling them is pretty galling.

7 Likes

this article is a bit out of date. I checked it out and fosters, Metalocalypse, and Dexter are all gone already. Space Ghost is still there but will be leaving soon. I’m lookingvthrough the “last chance” section now. A lot of classic movies going away. Looks like all or most of the Star Trek movies.

3 Likes

mx

2 Likes

MEATALOCALYPSE

2 Likes

2 Likes

Isn’t the forced name change more fall-out from the takeover by Warner, who seem to want to ditch the HBO name entirely, in a move that seems like a severe case of “not invented here.”?

2 Likes

Warner? That’s old news! It’s alllll been taken over by discovery now! (But yeah probably has to do with them wanting it not to just be about hbo)

Seriously my hope now is that zazlav sucks so bad at this that they end up selling it all or splitting it up and selling it to someone, anyone, who knows how to do this better.

2 Likes

Oh I checked around and a lot of CN stuff that left hbo max has gone over to hulu, including adventure time, gumball, flapjack and Clarence and chowder (this is all very weird since disney owns Hulu - Disney is essentially paying cn/warmer to run their content in syndication…) . Metalocalypse is only available as a thing you gotta pay separate (buy per episode) on places like amazon.

1 Like
4 Likes

Overnight it switched over to max and that stream ripping app keepstreams doesn’t work anymore. FOILED!!

Weird that Space Ghost got the cut but shows that didnt even have a fanbase are still there. I guess the platform having launch issues is just karma for this.

Such as?

1 Like