WB kills quality arm “HBO” and doubles down on transphobe's tired story

Originally published at: WB kills quality arm "HBO" and doubles down on transphobe's tired story | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Yes, because what everyone wants is to experience the Harry Potter story for a third time /s :roll_eyes:

27 Likes

32 Likes

AKA “She can say whatever hateful shit she wants if it makes us money.”

35 Likes

Third? There’s the video games (don’t mean the latest that’s in a different era), board games, play, and probably a few I’m missing.

11 Likes

Isn’t there a theme park?

7 Likes

Yup, forgot about that. Not sure if that counts in “tells the story” though.

6 Likes

If I’m honest, I’m only on HBO Max until all of the Doctor Who content on there gets ported to Disney+.

4 Likes

I’m meant just straight up narrative. I am not sure that a third person cover shooter is an accurate representation of Harry Potter

7 Likes

Lego games too. Although some of the story there is abstract enough you might need to be familiar with it already to see it.

6 Likes

I played part of the first Lego game. It was not great, and I like a good Lego game. I don’t remember which one was the third person cover shooter, but it seemed like the most egregious example

3 Likes

Even if it weren’t for the fact the JK is a despicable human, remaking the movies sounds stupid as heck. I hate this new world we live in where only remakes and sequels of huge popular properties stand a chance and all other storytelling gets axed (almost all the original content Cartoon Network was making for instance)

19 Likes

What?? Dr. Who is going to be Disney +??

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

14 Likes

Exterminate Doctor Who GIF by Muppet Wiki

23 Likes

Yep, starting with the 60th anniversary story, the Modern Series is joining D+. I’m not sure if Torchwood or the Sarah Jane Adventures will follow, but there’s already talk of some spinoffs (a la what they’re doing with Star Wars and Marvel).

Here are some details and spoilers.

9 Likes

I think Cookie Monster as Donna is probably my favorite thing about this gif. :smiley:

9 Likes

This ain’t for me. I’m good

6 Likes

Transphobe news aside, I’m laughing at the name change for WB Discovery HBO Max Quibi Netflix Plus, or whatever it is/was called.
“Yeah, our streaming service isn’t doing so well. Part of it is that there’s consumer confusion over how it differs from the cable package and what’s actually included in this particular service.”
“I know, let’s change the name again! That’ll clear things right up!”
“Brilliant!”

I always figured they’d try to turn HP into a tv show, but I really thought there would be another decade or two before the attempt. Perhaps I underestimated Hollywood’s need to generate the maximum money possible from every single “property” they control, but I mostly figured it would take a while before there was any consumer hunger for it. JKR being publicly horrible seemed like it would take the shine off, or at least push forward any more adaptations, at least until she was less in the news. Perhaps the success of the recent video game made them think it wasn’t going to have that much financial impact. (I always laugh ruefully whenever anyone claims US media companies are “woke.”)

11 Likes

Ah, I see. A direct challenge to Netflix, the king of more okayish content than you could ever watch.

7 Likes

Various Warner Brothers

9 Likes