'Gone with the Wind' gone from HBO Max

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/10/gone-with-the-wind-gone.html

3 Likes

Also:

I haven’t see GWTW in years, but I doubt that watching it now would captivate me more than the real-life story of Hattie McDaniel.

11 Likes

‘Gone with the Wind’ gone from HBO Max

Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.

35 Likes

Next maybe Birth of a Nation will be ‘given context’ on Amazon Prime.

6 Likes

Can we get back a version that’s edited down to just the end part where General Sherman is burning the city. And put it on loop for 2 hours?

I’d pay extra to see that.

4 Likes

Good for them. Entartete Kunst, indeed. Plus the masses are not smart enough to understand an old movie in the context of its time and as a piece of art. They must be instructed.

2 Likes

With Cops canceled, where will we get our content of running,sweaty shirtless guys and drunken trailer park arguments?

2 Likes

I’m confident that “reality TV” can deliver that without the smirking police officers trying to make their quotas.

2 Likes

trump rallies?

15 Likes

Cool Hand Luke.

Trailer parks?

8 Likes

"“These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today,”

Indeed. The producers were actually well aware of the problematic material. They bought the rights to the novel for the obvious commercial reasons (it had been a huge bestseller), and then they were literally paging through the book like “can we have our actors say that? Uh, no. Oh, shit, that’s bad.” But it was pretty hopeless. There was no way to make that book into a movie without some pretty racist crap getting on the screen.

6 Likes

Now a whole generation is gonna know nothin’ ‘bout birthin’ babies.

3 Likes

Whaddya think folding lounge chairs were fer, huh? Jeeze, ya needs ta git outayer trailer a bit more, bub.

When it returns:

8 Likes

15 Likes

My Name Is Earl reruns

7 Likes

With a bit of clay and imagination, I’m sure we’ll be just fine:

2 Likes

Entartete Kunst is probably not the most appropriate term to use in this context.

3 Likes

My cousins are idiots. I am not friends with them on facebook, but my sister regularly screenshots the dumb shit they say. Such as this hot take on HBO taking down GWTW:

I am really very certain my cousin has not read any of those books, because a hallmark of dystopian Sci-Fi is that The Government bans and censors things they don’t like.

The reality we are living in is Private Companies making these decisions because of consumer backlash. i.e. The Free Market.

The time to make a stink about The Government banning things would have been 1964 when SCOTUS ruled that the FCC could limit what went on broadcast TV.

6 Likes

I still get a slight Brave New World aftertaste from companies banning movies and books. I’m not really sure if it matters if it ‘the government’ or ‘the corporations’ doing things. Especially in an ultracapitalist society, where ‘the corporations’ are the center of power anyway.

Luckily that’s not really what happens. They are planning on putting it back up with more historical context added. I hope they’re quick about it. Yes, Gone With the Wind is problematic. It’s also a movie history.

But I agree fully it’s important to add historical context.

Just hiding the shameful things from the past in the bottom drawer is imho not a smart thing.