It is unclear how JK Rowling's outspoken anti-trans politics will affect video game sales

Originally published at: It is unclear how JK Rowling's outspoken anti-trans politics will affect video game sales | Boing Boing

8 Likes

In a sane and just world, it was affect the sales by tanking them, and no one who cares about the rights of the trans community would buy the game… But we all know that we don’t live in a sane and just world. We live in this one… so it will probably do relatively well, and the far right transphobic bigots will crow about how this is a victory against the “woke mob” who are “coming for” Rowling…

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

24 Likes

*SPOILERS

Maybe too late but meh.

ETA: Plus the artist that drew this is trans.
:metal::sunglasses::transgender_flag:

47 Likes

Rowling has to be a serious source of confusion to these religionist idiots.

8 Likes

I doubt that’s a real thing she said… the whole site seem to be one big shitpost.

And in fact, it is…

25 Likes

Philip DeFranco covered this recently and he said that on Twitch the streams for the game are pretty high and that sales for the game have been going strong despite several gaming sites outright declining to play it and review. To me its wild that LGBQT and allies will buy and consume Harry Potter content despite their money going directly towards someone that is antagonistic towards them. Similar how a lot of folks in the same community will sing the praises of Chick fil a despite the company also having the same negative attitudes towards LGBQT.

I dunno, whatever other people’s reasoning i know where i stand and i just flat out don’t intend to spend my time or money on Harry Potter.

18 Likes

The game is also anti-Semitic as hell.

14 Likes

One thing I have noticed is that none of the half dozen or so gaming podcasts I listen to have mentioned it releasing at all, except for this from the Giant Bombcast that I will crosspost below:

17 Likes

As were, arguably, the books, although I was blind to that when I read them. Honestly, the more I look at the entirety of Harry Potter, the more embarrassed I am that I ever enjoyed them.

I will not be playing this game, obviously. Sadly, it seems most of my gamer friends are completely oblivious.

18 Likes
16 Likes

Apparently, in addition, the plot of the game also leans a bit into the whole hook-nosed-goblins-are-money-grubbing-you-know-whos trope?

17 Likes

Judging from what I’ve been seeing at large, the game is going to do well, but the effect of efforts to raise awareness about trans issues is unknown. Probably a wash at best, tbh.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget her treatment of Seamus Finnigan…

13 Likes

The worst thing that I’ve heard about the actual game is that apparently being a Nazi is consequence free. You can cast the unforgivable curses with no consequences, because “people should be able to play the way they want to play”.

If you choose to play as a Nazi then you should get the full Nazi experience! At the minimum being punched in the nose, or more realistically ending up in Azkaban.

16 Likes

I’ve been seeing far fewer tumblr posts that are for the stupid game than against it, and the antis’ arguments are articulate and well-reasoned. Some even appear to have changed their minds once the antis explained their viewpoints.

10 Likes

And I guess the elves are still slaves. But we’re not going to think about that too much.

9 Likes

…“Slavic eyes?”

14 Likes

But they are happy about it! You know, like in the good old days /s

(also oblig Hermione is a white savior)

15 Likes

Maybe there could be a story in which Hermione goes the full John Brown.

11 Likes

What the hell are “Slavic eyes”?

-Looks in mirror.-

Do I have Slavic eyes?

6 Likes