In her new book, JK Rowling continues with the transphobia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/15/in-her-new-book-jk-rowling-co.html

5 Likes

Expectious!

I imagine her sales will be aided by people purchasing it out of spite for the “homosexual agenda” but, hey, at least she’s introducing literature to a subset of the population that is historically illiterate, right?

ETA: /s just in case.

9 Likes

Life has got to suck right now for the corporate heads of Warner Bros, Universal Studios, Electronic Arts, Lego and just about anyone who dishes out alot of cash to use Harry Potter properties. To have a hot property like that go down the drain the past few months like that gotta concern them

17 Likes

Apparently she’s added Islamophobia to her repertoire with this book, with some of the trans baddies wearing burqas and such.

It’s rare to see a celebrity burn through their accumulated goodwill with such zeal, but I suppose having money to burn in addition makes it easier.

43 Likes

I’m starting to wonder if J.K. Rowling’s Patronus is just Phyllis Schlafly.

37 Likes

As someone who enjoyed the Harry Potter books a lot, Rowling’s descent into more and more ludicrous bigotry has been truly baffling. Usually, in cases like this, you can see traces of the bad stuff in their works when you look at them with hindsight, but I really don’t see her transphobia in the Potter books, at all. It makes me think her beliefs have taken a weird, and strong, swerve into the TERF realm after she finished the series, but that kind of a thing is rare in adults. I just don’t know what the heck has gone wrong with her, and I guess we may never find out.

24 Likes

Misogyny has a fascinating future.

Soo, let me recap. Rawling wrote a book. It contains a cross-dressing killer. A reviewer concluded that she is trans-phobic, because, get this, she mentions the kiler’s Adam’s apple. And then jlw, not apparently having read the book, writes a post that contains nothing but an excerpt from the review under a, well, a headline.

Case closed, I’d say. The factual evidence is overwhelming. Rawling is a monster.

11 Likes

The Court of Internets has so ruled!

5 Likes

Except for all the monstrous transphobic statements she’s made outside this book, into which (judging by numerous excerpts I’ve read here and elsewhere) she’s incorporated some of those same views. Context matters, as always.

[Edited to add links]

50 Likes

No, no, no! This Morko guy is on to something big.

31 Likes

You missed a few things:

Sure Rowling wrote a book, but long after making her position clear publicly and without any interpretation by the reviewer.

32 Likes

Rowling was already a known transphobe well before she wrote this novel, which is just her latest act of spiteful bigotry.

45 Likes

I see what you did there. :wink:

7 Likes

Voldemort’s obsession with “pure blood” lives in his creator.

3 Likes

I can forgive a book written in the 1980’s for using this trope, it’s more difficult to accept a new book (and author) that travels down this well worn path.

When an author’s twisted views influence their works, it’s time to walk away. Dropped John Norman (Tarnsman of Gor) from my reading list as his books quickly escalated the misogyny to brain searing levels and his books reflects some disturbingly warped views of human sexuality. Shall I put JK Rowling on the same pile?

3 Likes

Dressed to Kill didn’t escape criticism back in 1980, either.

13 Likes

Turns out, the killer was Milton Berle.

5 Likes

Yes she has. She also approves of rape as a punishment for trans women in her previous transphobic book in the same series.

“ The second novel in the Cormoran Strike series, The Silkworm , also had a transgender woman character who is described as “unstable and aggressive” and tries to stab Strike before he threatens to call the police.

“It won’t be fun for you” in prison, Strike says in the book. “Not pre-op.”

My god! Halal take out! Burqa’s!

And rape is a horrible crime - unless a trans woman is the victim- then it’s appropriate punishment?

27 Likes