A simple hand guide to JK Rowling's transphobia

Originally published at: A simple hand guide to JK Rowling's transphobia | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Let’s see… Spell book under R… Here we go, Rowling, under Harry Potter authors…

10 Likes

Not that it excuses her hateful statements and behavior, but I wonder whether JKR’s trauma from being raped contributes to her poorly-conceived attitudes. It’s a damn shame that someone in her position, with such a platform, who could use it to promote progressive attitudes, chooses to adhere to and double-down on such regressive ones.

4 Likes

One recently frustrating moment i encountered recently was the youtube channel Binging With Babish. They recently did a Full English Breakfast video and it immediately opens with a Hogwarts Legacy sponsor clip and no word on his end about LGBQT+ issues. I checked all of his socials for a week after and he’s uploaded about 2 videos since and still nothing despite a lot of comments looking for some kind of statement about the sponsorship, and while it’s not that big of a deal it’s just disappointing. I liked the channel but i unsubbed because of their willingness to take money from a transphobic author’s IP. I’m sure in the long run I won’t make much of a dent in the popularity of said channel or the HP property but i won’t waste my time on that nonsense and the people that condone it.

14 Likes

Like, I get it, it’s hard to hear that someone who has created something you really like might not be the person you thought they were. And there is a tendency these days to whip up outrage to feed the internet clout machine. But when a whole lot of trans people are not only saying she’s a transphobe, but writing essays documenting exactly why the things she’s saying are transphobic, maybe you should believe them?

30 Likes

Didn’t the new private shelter she created explicitly exclude trans women?

9 Likes

Do you know how many women have been sexually assaulted and STILL managed to NOT attack marginalized groups and align with fascists?

And of course trans women did not hurt her… a cisgendered man, enacting “traditional” gender roles did. Trauma does not excuse embracing fascism. Ever. Fuck that noise.

30 Likes

Curious - where do the stars of the HP films stand on JKR’s actions? Have any of them acknowledged or addressed them?

I can’t imagine what it is like for her trans former fans. Growing up with something that on the surface seemed like a welcoming and inclusive (often token-ishly, one of each race on the otherwise lily white Hogwarts, and a “Hi there” to Anthony Goldstein :roll_eyes:) fantasy.

It gives you hope.

Then it turns out that you are a member of the one group she will not accept, and in fact works to eliminate.

While she retweets Nazis.

If only there were a hell for her to go to

16 Likes

She’s certainly not leading an attack against powerful men who abuse women. Where was she with Weinstein?

23 Likes

There’s a search engine for that.

7 Likes

I will say that I am disappointed that the actor who played Luna Lovegood defends her. Very disappointed

11 Likes

Approximately 1 out of 3 girls/women in their lifetime, and about half as many boys/men. That’s a lot of sexual assault survivors who haven’t been hateful toward trans people.

22 Likes

Trans people & sexual assault;

“ * Nearly half (47%) of respondents were sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime and one in ten (10%) were sexually assaulted in the past year. In communities of color, these numbers are higher: 53% of Black respondents were sexually assaulted in their lifetime and 13% were sexually assaulted in the last year.”

You would think if the issue were so important to her - she would try to protect us.

22 Likes

Thank you for mentioning this. I didn’t see the HP ad, but I will also unsub. I don’t need to support the transphobic crap directly or indirectly.

14 Likes

His comments section has been a shit show for the past week or so, especially with commenters telling trans fans to go off themselves or go cry in corner. Between that and the channel’s complete lack of a response about the HP sponsor i decided it was time for me to leave.

13 Likes
9 Likes

Easier to punch down to make yourself “feel better” than to focus on the root cause that could upset your revenue stream…

12 Likes

nobody cares bfd GIF

She’s more than wealthy enough to get help for whatever mental trauma she’s dealing with…

At what point do we start caring about the targets of bigotry and stop excusing the people seeking to benefit from bigotry? At some point we need to stop focusing on the bigots and instead attend to the victims of their hatred.

Mental health struggles is NOT the core of bigotry and the more we promote that idea, the more the excuse it.

19 Likes

Yes, that was in the linked Vox article which, while a bit of a long read, did really open my eyes to the extent of her transphobia.

7 Likes