Asking for a “correction” JK Rowling podcast’s PR firm mistakenly confirms her transphobia

Originally published at: Asking for a "correction" JK Rowling podcast's PR firm mistakenly confirms her transphobia | Boing Boing

39 Likes

standing ovation applause GIF

Give 'em hell, @jlw!!!

74 Likes

Hey JK

33 Likes

Great job!!!

Though I’m sure she has hundreds of “good” trans friends that’s she’s invited home for dinner. Maybe planning vacations together.

44 Likes

Wait, someone takes BB’s headlines seriously?

14 Likes

Whoopsie! If Barbra Streisand is in the market for a new publicist we’ve identified a great candidate.

Nice work, Jason. Funny too!

41 Likes

Oh very very well done. Superb work.

25 Likes

Bravo!
Trans Day Of Visibility GIF by Plume

38 Likes

I just can’t get over it. She literally demonizes and dehumanizes trans people into a giant faceless enemy in her own damned quote in the first place even. It’s just so damned sad to see her double down like that. Like in her mind she is the one last hope for women valiantly fighting a dragon and in reality the statistics for suicide in the 12-20 age bracket go up and we get school officials looking for reasons to probe kids vaginas.

Thanks jk.

44 Likes

This also reveals the impressive (though clearly insidious) way these PR campaigns work. They reach out to Vox, asking for Vox to please clarify that JK only meant “People who actively advocate for trans people to have basic human rights are Nazis,” rather than “trans people, who don’t deserve basic human rights, are Nazis.”

Vox kind-of agrees (in a way that seems frankly fair and fine in a journalistic capacity, imho). Then the PR people point to their existing success work as an example to prove to other outlets that the PR firm’s position is, in fact, correct. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy, a logic loop.

…and hilariously, this time, they fucked it up royally.

37 Likes

@jlw: That was next level.

I Love It Reaction GIF by Magic: The Gathering

41 Likes

Her staff bio from the firm that sent the letter. I’m super curious what the life path that takes you working from Senator Booker to… this.

Julia Horowitz

Julia is a Senior Associate at Risa Heller Communications and joined the firm in October 2022. Most recently, she worked at ABC News and contributed to Peabody and Emmy-award winning stories on matters of social justice and covered the 2020 presidential election.

Prior to this, she worked as Correspondent Coordinator for U.S. Senator Cory Booker and crafted messaging on topics such as immigration, debt-relief, and women’s rights. Julia graduated from Connecticut College with a B.A. in History and a minor in Government.

21 Likes

I look forward to the re-contextualizing of the Potter mythos through the lens of her transphobia similar to what Lovecraft Country did with HP Lovecraft’s work. Trans folk definitely will not be the Death Eaters.

30 Likes
37 Likes

Exactly. It’s a standard career path for some to exit the low-paid world of journalism for PR. Making a stop along the way as a press flak for a high-profile politician was a clever choice.

29 Likes

Well Done Clap GIF by EUX Compagnie d'Improvisation

Thank you so much, that exchange was a thing of beauty!!!

35 Likes

Yeah, looks like the firm has some pretty deep Democratic roots (the CEO worked for Schumer among others), and said roots got tossed when a billionaire gave them a blank check

19 Likes

We salute you.

22 Likes

@jlw How dare you bring someone to account by quoting their own words in context!?

I couldn’t make up my mind which winking gif to use; the little dog or the big dog.

32 Likes

You see, it’s not you PERSONALLY I hate, it’s all of you TOGETHER. Now, isn’t that better?

28 Likes