Asking for a “correction” JK Rowling podcast’s PR firm mistakenly confirms her transphobia

Even the idea that there’s a distinction (without difference) to be made doesn’t make any sense. She explicitly says the Death Eaters were made to live in secret, but are now living openly, which sure seems like a reference to the history of trans people themselves, not some nebulous “movement” that may or may not include trans people.

20 Likes

I wish people would be more oriented toward posting an email chain, which is a textual medium to begin with, as text rather than as screenshots of text. Particularly in this case where images using an already tiny font get scaled down to make it even more tiny and hard to read. It’s a huge disservice to visually-impaired readers to post screenshots of text that accessibility tools like screen readers are unlikely to be able to turn back into text.

21 Likes

I’ve only heard one viewpoint here so I took some time to read JK Rowlings own words.

1 Like

It also applies to the TERs, who seemed to disappear from view in the late 90s only to become very loud and visible around 2016.

This isn’t to say that transphobia didn’t exist in those 20 years, I am very aware that it did because I experienced it and still have the PTSD.

29 Likes
So I want trans women to be safe. At the same time, I do not want to make natal girls and women less safe. When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he’s a woman – and, as I’ve said, gender confirmation certificates may now be granted without any need for surgery or hormones – then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside. That is the simple truth.
Huge numbers of women are justifiably terrified by the trans activists; I know this because so many have got in touch with me to tell their stories. They’re afraid of doxxing, of losing their jobs or their livelihoods, and of violence.

But endlessly unpleasant as its constant targeting of me has been, I refuse to bow down to a movement that I believe is doing demonstrable harm in seeking to erode ‘woman’ as a political and biological class and offering cover to predators like few before it.

None of the gender critical women I’ve talked to hates trans people; on the contrary.
A lot of nice words about how and why she does care, but they don't exactly make up for a few extremely harmful lies right in the middle.
31 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

@jlw does not suffer fools…

23 Likes

I am in my early 40s, and I remember when the UK tabloid newspapers used to dox every trans person they could find (they had journalists look though the public records for people changing their names) which also resulted in trans people losing their jobs or livelihoods and experiencing violence.

Yes, no-one should experience this, but it is interesting when people who didn’t care before suddenly find it is a big problem because they are experiencing it themselves, but still can’t bring themselves to denounce the earlier abuse. And by interesting, I mean horrifying.

48 Likes

The perineal*, “[minority] are [slur]; current company excepted, of course.”

*Perennial, as @snigs pointed out. :+1:

9 Likes

I did not know that history. Humans are truly inventive and industrious in their ways to harm others.

5 Likes

I think that taint exactly what you mean to say? Perennial?

ETA: unless you’re calling them taints, which is legit.

12 Likes

Bravo for publishing the exchange. It’s weird that the best journalism sometimes come from pop culture aggregator blogs, but here we are. Maybe BB is the next Buzzfeed in terms of mission pivot. :grin:

24 Likes

:roll_eyes: :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s one giant strawman she’s built to justify her transphobia. Of course, it supplies a nifty distraction for men in power who actually abuse women to continue to do so. Even if you ignore the harm she is doing to trans folks, there is also the harm she is doing to cis women by providing cover for actual sexual predators.

28 Likes

I don’t know… you could just accept them into that class since it’s already the biggest and most diverse.

25 Likes

As an empath, I rhetorically ask

Why are so many people so profoundly, wilfully ignorant and cruel?

22 Likes

Speaking as a biological woman, a lot of people in positions of power really need to grow a pair (which is doubtless literally possible, according to the kind of people who argue that clownfish prove humans aren’t a dimorphic species).

Consider her viewpoint represented in this thread. Good idea to let her bigotry speak for itself.

16 Likes

Isn’t what she said on the podcast, which was quoted in the exchange, her own words?

Regardless, she has had many opportunities to set the record straight but continues to double, triple, quadruple down on her transphobia.

14 Likes

I was reading reports of the Tik Tok trial today and some GQP asshat had the gall to criticize the CEO of “literally killing children.” I mean, Tik Tok may need to be brought to heel (I’m not even going to pretend to be informed enough to comment on it), but for a Republican to say that shit with a straight face made my stomach flip.

15 Likes

i honestly don’t see any nice words in there at all.

“so i want trans women to be safe” maybe?

if so, she needs name one thing she’s done to make that a reality. because everything she has done is making trans people ( trans women and trans men ) less safe

( and what are these magical barriers that somehow protect women from predatory men!? oh, i don’t have a birth certificate with an “f” so i guess i won’t go into to the bathroom and attack someone? that’s wild logic right there )

27 Likes

Oh, I was only quoting the heart of the thing. It is very much written as in the form “I don’t hate anyone, but…” and as usual everything before the but is window dressing. If anyone doubts that, then like you say her actions speak incredibly loud on their own.

19 Likes