Asking for a “correction” JK Rowling podcast’s PR firm mistakenly confirms her transphobia

Does anyone not think its wierd that she’s using her own invention as an analogy?

She’s saying “I think these people are like these fictional things I thought up.”

I mean there’s doubling down on your prejudices and then there’s doubling down, and she’s doubled down about as much as you can.

11 Likes

That’s not the weird part. It was a response to someone asking if it occured to her that people are comparing her to the villians in her books.

The bad part is that she somehow thinks her victims are the ones with power and are intent on taking over the world with violent eradication. She’s delusional with false victimhood.

28 Likes

Sales people and communications people in my experience tend to have the most …flexible… ethics.

10 Likes

Less wierd than repetitive I would say, and traditional for bigots.

I can think of an analogy myself for some people who blamed their victims for secretly controlling the world, say all of 90 odd years ago.

7 Likes

The tl;dr is:

“What do you think about the people comparing you to Nazis?”

JKR: “They are the Nazis!”

22 Likes

The thing that always gets me, when I hear arguments like this, is that men don’t want to be women if they aren’t absolutely compelled to recognize that fact about themselves. Men don’t want to lose their privileges. They don’t want to become less-equal human beings and citizens. They can hide out in women’s bathrooms all day long without undergoing medical treatment, and still not get in any type of legal trouble (usually). Why would they undergo years of treatment, if it wasn’t absolutely essential to their health and well-being?

33 Likes

I was shocked to learn that rapists won’t assault women unless they have a gender recognition certificate. Prior to laws allowing those - there were zero rapes in Rowlingston.

31 Likes

Apparently, she thinks bathrooms are protected by magic spells.

As a cis-het male, I tend to defer to women on where they see obstacles and problems in their lives. In my circle, the women who have personally experienced abuse aren’t much worried about any sneaky abusive men in dresses pretending to be trans. To them, there isn’t much overlap between “men who would abuse women” and “men who would go out in a dress in public”. Possible? Sure, it’s a big world. Worried about it? No.

22 Likes

Well, she did write stories about wizards.

6 Likes

I realize this is just scratching the surface of what’s wrong with her statements, but… does Rowling not realize that unisex bathrooms exist??

17 Likes

Has Rowling actually got on stage with someone to “debate” any of this”?

If you’re constantly writing (or pouring your heart out to sympathetic podcast hosts) that people just don’t get your thesis and you are none of these bad things people say about you are true, doesn’t that maybe suggest that your thesis is shit?

Also, what movement is she talking about? A bunch of people agreeing that you are wrong is not a movement.

12 Likes

Rowling at some point decided that wizards used to just defecate wherever they were standing and then use magic to clean it up, so her entire career is writing stories that take place in what used to be one giant unisex bathroom. :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

even the publicist agreed that rowling was talking about trans people. it’s right there in the opening email. so no, you’re reading it wrong.

19 Likes

Hi Julia.

15 Likes

It’s a bit ironic, too, that Harry and Ron end up being in the girls room at one point.

13 Likes

And guess which group were among the first to be targeted by them?

23 Likes

The thing is, we know what the Death Eaters are like in the books, and they don’t even resemble JKR’s paranoid, bigoted idea of evil trans conspiracy.

The DEs are the wizarding world’s equivalent of neo-Nazi thugs, Britain / America First xenophobes, and privileged people resentful of the society no longer keeping their “lessers” down or allowing casual, callous violence towards them. They are a reactionary backlash to increasing equality, shaped into a cult of personality by a charismatic sociopath.

In other words, they are exactly TERFs like Rowling herself and the far-right bastards they’ve joined forces with. She’s projecting madly, and she’s even failing at that, because all the hate has made her stupid to the point where she no longer even understands her own books.

28 Likes

She clearly didn’t like people turning her own book against her, so she’s invoking author’s privilege and saying she’s the only one who can tell you what is the appropriate equivalence to make.

15 Likes

Roland Barthes has entered the chat

24 Likes

Shits & Giggles
Likes & Shares
Dollars & Cents

Nothing good.

11 Likes