In her new book, JK Rowling continues with the transphobia

I wonder if I could build a house just out of this kind of novel?

1 Like

Albatross Bitchslap is a stupid name for a character anyway.
That woman is just straight-up hateful these days.

15 Likes

Wait… if you eat halal do you… BECOME MUSLIM!!! /s

15 Likes

My pizza joint has Halal options- it’s insidious! /s

16 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mouth for Eyes

I am also baffled. Maybe she’s influenced by spew from the Religious Right, the fake religious radical political ideology?

2 Likes

Is that like food from your local curry shop? You know, the national dish of Britain? Except she’s making it contentious?

Not sure it’s that rare for adults to break racist/misogynist/TER by the way @LurksNoMore I’ve seen it regularly here in some of our more prominent horrible people. Seemingly normal for decades then decide the world is against them and become radical hate monsters. Glynner, Gemmeroids, John Waters (not the cool one) to name the three most prominent in Ireland.

Edit: changed that to Trans Exclusionist Reactionary because all of the above are exactly that. I apologise for my inaccuracy.

12 Likes

Suffer with us baby.

4 Likes

Here ya go - I set you up a thread to discuss that.

8 Likes

Oh, don’t worry - they’ll buy it, but they won’t actually read it. That’s too much effort, and some of the words look long.

3 Likes

Sigh.

This has been building for years. JKR has been a terrible person for a long time. It started with politics- if you didn’t agree with her on one issue, she’d aim huge volumes of green ink at you on twitter. Anyone who she didn’t agree with was a Death Eater. And back then, she had a fair proportion of the potter fandom who would pile on as well. Then she gradually ramped up the anti Trans nonsense, along with some horribly bad takes on gender in general. Now we’re here, where pretty much everything she says is related to this obsessive hatred that she has.

I suspect, having made her millions, we’re seeing the real person emerge. She doesn’t have to worry about consequences or saving her job, so we get the full unfiltered blast of her opinions. She’s now showing us who she really is.

She also highlights an uncomfortable truth about on-line activism. A lot of places have a TERF-y problem, because for these particular “activists”, it was always about the hate. And when they’re found out, suddenly they find that their hate is not being praised as righteous and justified, and they double down on it.

26 Likes

Transphobia perhaps not (I’ve never read the books,) but there was plenty of stuff in there that’d tell you that she was pretty questionable as a person.

• The jewish goblins who control the banks (they even put a star of david on the floor in the movies)
  • the only speaking asian character being named Cho Chang
  • I don’t know if it was in the books but at some point she started filling in the north american wizard school and it was just a bunch of native american stereotypes
  • trying to retroactively make the books more progressive than they were (“Dumbledore has been gay the whole time actually, and there will be explicit representation which will never actually come”)

I’m sure people familiar with the series can fill in a whole lot more. Also the fact that wizard nazis are just kinda accepted as a personality quirk? That’s a pretty big part of the series. Nobody ever faces any repercussions for throwing around slurs like “mudblood”, the Malfoys are still a really prestigious family despite having a lot of historical ties to the wizard nazis. Come to think of it isn’t the whole point of Slytherin “the house for the wizard nazis”?

12 Likes

Well - show some sympathy. What else is someone to do if the strawberries go missing from the Officer’s Mess or someone steals your Precious?

5 Likes

It’s more the Trans Exclusionary “Radical” “Feminists”, who have a long history of hating trans people. They were sending death threats to trans people and their allies back in the 70s and they haven’t really stopped, they just became more sneaky about it.

Radical feminist is a misnomer, as they are neither radical or feminist anymore. Trans Exclusionary Reactionary (or TER) is a more useful catch all for both them and conservative transphobes.

22 Likes

My wife was having a particularly bad day recently (even for this day and age) and asked that I played a Harry Potter audiobook in the car on a drive home. She just wanted to be in a fantasy land for a little bit and I really wanted to join her. Even though that world can be as dark as ours, you can at least count on good to have a chance against evil.

I wish JK wasn’t so horrible IRL.

6 Likes

Dumbledore has a strongly implied romance with a man in the books.

1 Like

I hope for (and expect) a future where the Harry Potter universe is expanded on like the Cthulhu Mythos, but JK is treated in the same way as HP Lovecraft, an awful person who you do not want to emulate.

21 Likes

I know this is contentious online as she didn’t make it clear but later said he was gay she just didn’t put it in the books. Personally I read him as gay from the text as originally presented.

5 Likes

You know, I went to argue with you - because I’m a contrarian that likes to argue with the people I align most with out of curiosity and self destructiveness - but in this case I think you’re right so much that I can’t muster the will.

I really like the Harry Potter books and don’t think they are evil now or anything - but she seems to be willfully being obtuse and hurtful.

Does she think she is engaging in some important culture war that trumps kindness or logic? I can only hope so in a way - otherwise she is just being mean? So confusing.

That would be an interesting turn of events considering how loudly those people bemoaned the popularity of the Harry Potter books back when the series started taking off. She even got her own Chick Tract.

potter-1
potter-2

7 Likes