A cloud weighs as much as 300 cars so why doesn't it fall on our heads?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/29/a-cloud-weighs-as-much-as-300.html

4 Likes

Basically it is not very dense and spread out over a really big area. But there is much more to it as explained in the video.

10 Likes

Those clouds don’t look like bunnies, they look like ducks!

4 Likes
5 Likes

For a similar reason as why ships carrying a lot more than 300 cars don’t sink. They’re not denser than the stuff beneath them

4 Likes

We could refine this explanation.

The ship itself – let’s say a mainly steel ship – is denser than water.

To float, the steel-dense hull must displace a volume of water having a mass exceeding the mass of the ship. (Assuming I understood the explanation correctly, which I took from an interview with a naval engineer on public radio some years ago.)

Update: special case, flying galleons or whatever you call the flying ship in Stardust (2007):

Update 2: The short answer to the question is: Because Scale.

Update 3: Water density varies with dissolved substances such as salts – and with undissolved substances such as gas bubbles … thus headlines such as “Could methane bubbles sink ships?” (Answer: yes, it could happen, but it does not commonly happen.)

3 Likes

sir patrick moore tried to explain the weight of clouds

Keep your eyes on the road, people.

3 Likes

great video. but she never explained how all my files are stored there? :wink:

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure clouds float because of orgone energy.

6 Likes

Why doesn’t it fall on our heads?

Destiny.

Err, that’s not it…
Density!

3 Likes

What is rain, hail, or snow then?

3 Likes
4 Likes

People in the Pacific Northwest: “Wait, it doesn’t fall on our heads?”

5 Likes

Short answer: Because science.

Long answer: Because science, bitches.

4 Likes

I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.