A Conversation with John Cleese

[Permalink]

I’m looking forward to reading the article, but: Does anybody proofread this stuff? In my first 30 seconds on the page I see “No he can add author to his resume”, “to which Cleese brought his impressive gifts as a physical comedy”, and “The heady comedy scene of the 1960s and 1970s was a heady crucible” (or is the purpose of the repetition of “heady” going over my head?)

1 Like

We apologise for the typos in this story. Those responsible have been sacked. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti… We apologise again for the typos in this story. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

19 Likes

I stumbled over and was peeved about the exact same mistakes, but to answer[quote=“smf, post:2, topic:45548”]
Does anybody proofread this stuff?
[/quote]

no, nobody does. it’s on the author to catch it all. at first I assumed we had a rookie on our hands, but the byline is fairly extensive, so that would indicate to me a rush job getting it to print. deplorable.

anyway, despite that this was promotional fluff, and I knew it before I read it, and I happily read it anyway; he still made me laugh with this bit, god bless 'im

People explain Facebook to me, but the whole idea of somebody writing their own gossip column, about themselves, so that their friends know where they are shopping – this, I cannot understand.

1 Like

His bit about how the room service menus aren’t in the room because then the visitors might use them… He wasn’t the only one tickled by the concept.

Not to change subjects, but that sounds like it could have come straight from the pages of a Douglas Adams novel.

1 Like

Oh! Bevis! And I thought you were so butch!

(I love all of John Cleese’s work*)

(Edit: *All Cleese’s work that I have seen to date)

6 Likes

Even Fierce Creatures?

D’OH. I will let you know as soon as I watch it! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Fierce Creatures is a very underrated comedy. On release it received mainly good reviews, but premiered in January (dead season) and flopped at the box office, which made people think it was somehow bad. Comparing it with A Fish Called Wanda didn’t help either, since the films are very different, despite having the same cast. Wanda is a caper-comedy about British-American differences; FC is a broad farce about corporations.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it since the cinema. My memory is of liking it, but it sank without trace at the box office and I thought it got poor reviews.

Clockwise it wasnt, though. I love that film.

2 Likes

No mention of “I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again”. I remember as children huddled around the wireless, listening to the Light Programme. Best bit of the week. Oh, that and the Goons, which everyone remembers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I’m_Sorry,_I’ll_Read_That_Again

1 Like

The ensemble acting is fierce creatures is great, even if the premise is a little… Er… Outrageous :).

"Rollo Lee: It’s an anteater, not a maneater.

Sydney Lotterby: What would you be saying if it went over there, jumped into that pram? What would you be saying to the child’s mother now?

Rollo Lee: I’d be saying, “Madam, you are the victim of an 8 billion to one chance: a leaping anteater. An evolutionary mutant previously unknown to science.”

4 Likes

Is there audio of this somewhere? Hearing Cleese is half the fun. Go watch him discuss Sarah Palin… it’s pretty terrific.

Also you want absurdism? How about some nigerian scammers performing the dead parrot sketch?

1 Like

In the whole of Python, there weren’t two songs or dances you could remember?

Actually, John Cleese, in collaboration, added author to his résumé 30 years ago. And then they wrote another one.

Dangit, his book tour isn’t bringing him anywhere even remotely close to me. :frowning:

There are two versions of that song alone!

But I also remember the ballad of Eric the Half-a-Bee…

2 Likes

Maybe that doesn’t count as part of the series though.

1 Like

In the whole of Python, there aren’t three songs or dances you can remember?

I’ll come in again.

5 Likes