Have you seen the entire Mr. Creosote sketch from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/16/have-you-seen-the-entire-mr-c.html

6 Likes

Fuck off, I’m full.

27 Likes

I’d say the salmon mousse was more disturbing

3 Likes

Regrettably, yes I’ve seen that scene all the way through a number of times.

18 Likes

The Meaning of Life is less “dry British humor” and more “what can we get away with”.

17 Likes

That sketch is horrific, but the transition out of it is sublime.

16 Likes

“I have trodden in monsieur’s bucket.”

20 Likes

6 Likes

Eeets hwaffer theen…

29 Likes

That’s the regular scene from the film… is there another, shorter version that people are seeing somewhere?

Geniunely curious, not sarcastic.

When I was a kid, it was the vomiting that was the worst part. But now, as an adult, I’m more disturbed by John Cleese’s waiter character – the sort of cool, “everything is normal” attitude that is not only unruffled by projectile vomiting, but encourages it.

25 Likes

I think most people, who haven’t seen the film, only know the end of the bit. “Waffer thin” etc.

5 Likes

Yeah, he jumps for cover after handing him the mint. He knows he’s going to die.

But the most disturbing part of it for me was the aftermath of Mr. Creosote exploding, the exposed innards. I think I remember that correctly - it’s burned into my mind - I did not rewatch it today.

15 Likes

I saw the entire sketch as a kid, and I distinctly remember thinking “okay, it’s kind of gross, but why is this funny?” Years later, I finally got the class/wealth distinctions and found it hilarious.

13 Likes

The attitude of the other diners is similar. Everyone putting up with this bloated and entitled monster, politely making lame excuses, literally choking down whatever small sick disgust they have. At least the waiter finally understands this situation with his regular customer has to come to an end.

I still find the sketch more funny than disturbing, but I would agree with Tarantino that it is memorable (the “clever” Noel Coward style song about penises at the beginning is a nice touch, as well).

13 Likes

“Look. Howard’s being eaten.”

• from earlier in the film but still good
7 Likes

It definitely inspired this commercial:

3 Likes

Where’s the antisemitic cleaner?

2 Likes

If we took the bones out, it wouldn’t be crunchy, would it?

9 Likes

Those fish! The similarity to the fish in the ‘Seaman’ game on the Sega Dreamcast can’t be a coincidence. I think that game developer has some explaining to do.

2 Likes

Suggested we see it on my first date with someone who was not familiar with Monty Python at all. Kind of think that and/or the sex ed scene was the reason for no second date. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

11 Likes