A cop shot his wife and then killed himself, but you wouldn't know it from this headline

Originally published at: A cop shot his wife and then killed himself, but you wouldn't know it from this headline | Boing Boing

17 Likes

Another one?

13 Likes

Drowning Cops like to take someone with them.

#ACAB

19 Likes

It’s all about tainting the juror pool way in advance.

5 Likes

Pretty sure this particular cop will never have to face a jury.

27 Likes

disgusting.

12 Likes

He will face the mortician, who is probably thinking; “This better be a closed casket service, or a cremation.”

2 Likes

Unfortunately, reporters don’t get to write their own headlines, that falls to an editor or publisher, who might be more removed from the story or under pressures other than objective reporting. Even website writers don’t always get to write their own headlines…

4 Likes

good that rob never claimed that then. he ascribed it to the station

if it were just one bad apple then perhaps it’d be worth finding the name of the one person who writes the bad headlines, of course it’s not

news organizations en masse rely on cops for information about crimes ( and suspected crimes ) so they bend over backwards for them as a rule. not unlike - though perhaps with less intentional malice - your average district attorney

19 Likes

If your family name is Miller, don’t name your kid Stephen.

3 Likes
  1. I never claimed anything about the author of this story 2) I was speaking generally, not about any single “apple” 3) yes, news organizations face other pressures. Journalism is hard.
2 Likes

He was 46 years old. The Stephen Miller, unbelievable as it may seem, is only 36.

8 Likes

Then what was your point? No one said anything about the person who wrote the story, so why did you feel the need to make a comment in their defense? Journalism is hard, but this story is not an example of that. This headline should have been easy to write. Whoever writes headlines for that station is in such a reflexive habit of writing in a way that deflects blame from the police that they did it even in a case like this, and that’s a big problem. And do you think letting the writer of the story write the headline will fix that problem? Because I don’t. So I really don’t see the relevance of your comment.

13 Likes

Unless I’m missing something glaringly obvious, the update has been updated. I can’t find that sentence(or a substantial equivalent) anywhere in the article as of loading it a couple of minutes ago. The URL also retains its…journalistic ‘neutrality’…though that is more likely to just be a CMS artifact than a deliberate preference.

Editorial mistakes were made.

24 Likes

“Speed was involved in a jumping‑related incident with a lazy dog while a fox was brown.”

8 Likes

For the pedants in the crowd, shouldn’t it be “exonerative voice” rather than “exonerative tense”?

8 Likes

Brown fox on speed charged with disturbance of the peace, resisting arrest. We interview dog victim!

7 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this in our local paper even reporting traffic incidents. Like, “the car Mr. Jones was driving ran into a utility pole.”
As if it’s the car that did it. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Which, aside from the obvious cop-love in the headline this post is about, after so many years of editors correcting me whenever I wrote in passive voice, I just find irritating.

12 Likes