A dead 62-foot whale spooked examiners when it made bubbling noises — a warning it could explode

Originally published at: A dead 62-foot whale spooked examiners when it made bubbling noises — a warning it could explode | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“Friends report his name was Walter Jorgensen.”

6 Likes

Go Go Go Running GIF

6 Likes

Exploding Whales are dangerous. Especially if Dynamite is used.

13 Likes

Reminds me of one of my all time favorite Radiolab segments.

1 Like

“How big?”
“Around 25-30 feet long.”
“So what is that? Like a train car?”
“More like a small yacht.”

In fact “train car” is a great frame of reference. “Small yacht” is more general. A good response might have been “About half that.”

9 Likes

Someone should buy that man a longer billhook - that was close!

2 Likes

A double-decker bus or brontosaurus are the acceptable units of comparative length, accept no substitutes.

3 Likes

I’ve had a startlingly similar experience at certain fast food restuarants.

1 Like

In high enough concentrations, and when mixed with oxygen in the air, the gas can cause whales to explode, either spontaneously as pressure increases, or when the remains are cut open;

Mixed with oxygen? Is this implying that the methane is combusting/deflagrating? Is this actually happening?
It seems like the whale is simply bursting like a balloon from the pressure buildup, and oxygen mixture has nothing to do with it.

2 Likes

Never smoke during a whale necropsy.

4 Likes

1 Like

Tango. Mike. India.
(Also, ROFL)

depends on what tools are being used when the rupture happens, perhaps? One would think that it would just be a catastrophic rupture of the carcass.

I would like to read the paperwork for the insurance claim on that convertible.

1 Like

Fascinating topic, and a really good video!

1 Like

:smirk:

Sailboats are actually the only object for which I have a mental model that works in feet. I can imagine any length in the range of maybe 22 to 40ft by comparing it to a boat. I have no idea how long a railcar is in feet, especially because I’m fairly certain they come in different sizes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.