A deep dive into the dying of Red Lobster

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/02/a-deep-dive-into-the-dying-of-red-lobster.html

5 Likes

I wonder how long before they start closing up shop? I think I have a gift card or two for there (random x-mas gifts kind of thing).

7 Likes

Private equity is a scourge upon the Earth.

27 Likes

Yes, private equity is a scourge. Can I have yours?

But more seriously, I hate what they did to Toys R Us and Bed Bath & Beyond. It really is ruinous. I don’t think I ever visited a Red Lobster, but I know people that loved it and I know there will be jobs lost for no good reason. It stinks. They’ll probably sit empty for years, too.

13 Likes

K-mart and Sears, too. Same. Exact. Trick. Sell the real estate to a holding company (ideally owned or controlled by the CEO doing the asset stripping), lease the properties back and use that as an excuse to add a mountain of debt on the company when it can barely manage as it is.

16 Likes

And nursing homes. That land on the edge of town they bought 50 years ago is worth a mint.

6 Likes

I’m not too fussed about the collapse of any particular minimum wage paying mass production food output facility. Don’t think I’ve been to a Red Lobster since the 1980s.

I personally don’t see Red Lobster as some crucial cultural touchstone, any more than all the other corporate chains. I do however see the rapacious impact of private equity on other actual important things (like senior homes and hospitals) and think that something must be done.

No, I don’t know enough to know what particular thing wouldn’t lead to even worse consequences, but clearly the rampaging of private equity though society is a problem.

4 Likes

There is not now nor has there ever been and excuse for cheese sauce.

5 Likes

Seems in the best interest of the new owner of all those properties to have lowered the rent. Now they have a huge number of unleased properties.

1 Like

Hopefully there’s still a Red Lobster in heaven, and Joe Flaherty’s enjoying himself.

2 Likes

Broccoli. I rest my case.

6 Likes

Enjoy your dry-ass mac and cheese.

8 Likes
1 Like

Maybe Red Lobster can save itself by posting really crap AI stuff oh wait

1 Like

I was just about to bring this up. It’s bad enough to strip all the value from a restaurant chain or retail establishment. When it comes to care for the injured, sick or elderly, that’s a horse of a different color.

Strip mine the value from a restaurant chain and people lose their jobs, or a place to eat. Do the same with a nursing home and people are going to die unnecessarily, not to mention the moral injury to those who are still employed there as the ship goes down.

8 Likes

I was just thinking K-Mart and Sears when reading that.

2 Likes

I actually like Red Lobster. It has a basic inexpensive steak and greens combo that never fails. Hiding behind that mountain of cheddar buscuits is the perfect “full eat-out meal with nearly no carbs”

7 Likes

Yeah, for a chain place it’s not bad, they have some good stuff… It just isn’t in our regular dinner out rotation normally.

3 Likes

I make it with cheese chunks and white sauce, it is miles better that way.

3 Likes

Broccoli is fine, why fuck it up.

1 Like