A Europe of city-states

Damn! Beat me to it!

1 Like

OMG. I was liking you guys earlier and you weren’t doing the TMBG version of the song?

5 Likes

To be clear, I was.

Also, I love Gir.

2 Likes

The great thing about over-centralisation is other European cities are being set up for all the people who can’t afford to live in London to live there - looks like Rome will be game!

Can you imagine a Rome driven by artists, followed by small and open businesses, growing madly? Man - I can just see my kids there! I’m actually jealous!

Empires come, empires go. London is a great city, but everyone is being priced out. The artists in particular - they’ll just go to Paris, Rome, Berlin - Porto will become cool!

London will become, in its entirety, like Lancaster Gate. A wealthy ghetto. Oh well.

You may have your mouse back then.

How could you not know that?

Also, when I saw them last, when the played a family show here in ATL, I kicked off the chant that got them to play it! Yay, me!

5 Likes

They are already going to Berlin, if they are not going to small market towns (which are the parts of England that have the best quality of life).

It isn’t a ghetto; one of the growing problems of London is the houses and apartments bought purely as investments; they are almost always empty as the owners want to be able to use them for a couple of weeks a year, and in any case having tenants causes wear and tear, so mothballing them makes more (economic) sense.
Far from the image of a ghetto as somewhere overcrowded and filled with members of a despised ethnic group, these places are becoming urban deserts.

1 Like

OH wait - I see the confusion.

I didn’t realize TMBG COVERED the song. I thought that was an original song of theirs. I guess I should read Floods liner notes closer. I had no idea The Four Lads did it first.

TMBG was actually the first concert I went to. It was an outdoor one at The Hill at KU. Some jackass threw a shoe on stage and they were like, “If you guys throw something else up here, we’re leaving. You might thing it’s cool to throw things at people you don’t know. But its not.” I still have a shirt somewhere with The Pokey Little Puppy on the back.

3 Likes

Please allow me my fantasies of everyone actually having the rights that are enumerated for us in the US Declaration of Independence or the UN’s Universal Deceleration of Human Rights.

2 Likes

OH! Yes, the song is from the 40s or before, maybe even… straight up Tin Pan Alley, I think.

But we’re all on the same page now!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.