Web-based Civilization games

Originally published at: Web-based Civilization games | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Damn you!

2 Likes

The feature I always wanted was for real world maps to have city name suggestions or auto-naming for a city in a close proximity to a historic city location with the appropriate cultural/linguistic name. So if you’re playing the Romans and you build a city in a certain spot astride the Thames, it suggests Londinium and if you build in the same spot as the English, it suggests London and if you build in the same spot as the Welsh, it suggests Llundein, etc.

That way the map ends up as an alternate history map that seems more likely than Seattle being built in Africa or Washington being built in Japan just because you were playing the Americans.

8 Likes

Great idea. Paradox does something similar with its games, in that particular combinations of provinces might become something historically novel but credible. Burgundian Empires and such.

5 Likes

I suspect that they’ve continued to tinker with it; but, at least circa Europa Universalis III and Crusader Kings II, their use of that sometimes struck me as veering a bit far in the direction of being prescriptive.

It’s obviously fair to be more historically constrained in a game that covers a fairly short timespan well after a whole bunch of culture and politics have been laid down(in contrast to Civ’s usual pointy-sticks-to-space-flight scope); but there was still an awful lot of “these two barons somewhere in southern france are essentially identical; except I’m the de jure lige of one, and so can attempt to vassalize him without penalty; but the one next door belongs to a different territory because of something that happened in the 13th century so I don’t even have a causus belli on him” details.

They give you more room to play around at the larger scales(with a variety of historically nonexistent or transient kingdoms and empires to found/refound; and the option to simply create king-level titles with enough land, cash, and piety; but on the smaller scales you spend a lot of time coloring in the lines they provide because de jure claims are so good; and (for most player types) cultures and religions are relatively slow and arduous to change. (Admittedly, this is part of the reason why taking the horseback barbarians who pretty much have a “because we can” causus belli against anything that moves; and convert provinces into pastures to solve ethnic and religious differences for a spin on occasion is such a welcome change of pace. Much like sometimes forgetting the hassles of trade, piracy; and pop happiness and political opinions in Stellaris and playing a devouring swarm hive mind or determined exterminator machine empire.)

1 Like

I’m eager to see how Victoria 3 builds on V2.

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.