A family cremated their dead cat. Then he showed up at their front door, alive

I don’t have the heart to tell you:

What you’re describing is an “outdoor” cat.

3 Likes

Ah, my mistake. I thought you were referring to feral cats.

3 Likes

There’s no need for the apostrophe after “Fitzsimmons”; it’s not a possessive.

It is but typically “outdoor” cats in the UK last longer than 2 to 5 years - that’s probably the source of some confusion. Maybe you mean 12 to 15 years for pet cats? Or perhaps youre thinking of some short lived breed.

My own family pets growing up have lasted 13, 14 and 17 years. The last two lived together and were brothers.

My parent’s last cat lived for over 15 years (He was a rescue cat, we didn’t know exactly how old he was). This life included running out of the house on the night of the 2005 Carlisle floods, getting cut off by the rising waters of the river Caldew and going to the nearest high ground, a pedestrian bridge over the railway lines. He then wandered into the next neighbourhood where someone took care of him until he was reunited with my family. It took a while because the river and railway effectively divide the two communities, it was chance that someone saw the missing notices where my family lived and realised it was the same cat that their friend had saved.

When the 2009 floods happened he was kept away from the front door when it was opened.

2 Likes

Well, the problem is that they didn’t find the head to cremate.

You can’t just cremate the body. The head will just feed on unwary insects etc… until it gains the biomass to regenerate the body and gain some mobility.

Trust me, I’m a vet.
(who enjoys writing ridiculous things on the interwebs)

But on a more somber note, it’s not uncommon for people to cremate partial cats. Out here it’s usually due to the “what wasn’t consumed by the coyote” phenomenon.
Had a lady rush into the hospital once with the front 1/2 of a very dead cat. She insisted that we resuscitate it/perform CPR. She hadn’t looked at the condition of the body, but had just gathered the cat up in a blanket (and didn’t notice the missing mass…)

3 Likes

over 40 comments and no one has mentioned Schrödinger? cat’s dead until observed (alive) at the front door. or am I not thinking outside the box?

5 Likes

[ETA: thanks to the Stupid Pet Face tumblr for these pics-- my daily dose of unicorn chaser.]

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.