A family goes fishing and finds a paddling kangaroo who needs help

Originally published at: A family goes fishing and finds a paddling kangaroo who needs help | Boing Boing

7 Likes

How far out was it? They’re generally excellent swimmers.

10 Likes

The Australian equiavalent of the American deer-on-ice pusher

6 Likes

Swimmers cramp. Should not have eaten so close to going swimming :wink:

9 Likes

Kangaroo, “I wuz almost feckin’ there, y’bastid! An’ then y’drag me back!” :kangaroo: :kangaroo: :kangaroo:

25 Likes

Kangaroo, later that day, to his buddies:

“So I was really out there deep working on my long-distance swimming, had a good burn going, and suddenly I was kidnapped by this boat of joyriding brigands and towed back to the beach. I couldn’t do much about it while it was happening, but believe you me I stood there in the shallows giving them the stink eye for quite a while as they motored away.”

29 Likes

Yeah, and the roo doesn’t really appear to be struggling until they try to grab it.

13 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this.

6 Likes

Later that day the family rescued a Great White Shark struggling for life in a nearby eucalyptus forest.

13 Likes

Underneath the water was a very disappointed crocodile thinking, “Dammit that was my lunch!”

5 Likes

“What’s that, Timmy? Skippy’s fallen in the creek?”

7 Likes

That was totally the impression I got from the roo at the end! Kind of like, “you guys! I was halfway there!”

5 Likes

Rescued, only to be eaten by a drop bear later that day.

7 Likes

It was later identified as a rare Saltwater Roo.
Deelicious - and you don’t have to brine them!

4 Likes

It was really far out man.

3 Likes

There is a dam on my property where a mob of around 30 kangaroos gather. Yes they can swim but even on the hottest day I have never seen one boing into the dam to cool down.

If attacked by a dog kangaroos will lure them into water and then drown them. Fair call, adapting to an introduced species - probably dingoes would be an indigenous predator that they would have to deal with.

The remarkable thing for me was that this young roo let a human rescue it!! Kangaroos are very skittish around humans, I’ve seen a roo with road trauma injuries further injure itself trying to get away from a well meaning human rescue.

Seeing this guy not struggle was pretty profound for me… no sign of struggle and giving itself up to a life saving intervention.

3 Likes

I much prefer the narrative of a successful rescue, so I’ll go with it.

2 Likes

Yep agreed!

1 Like

It did look exhausted as well as nervous, perhaps it was too tired to struggle.

2 Likes

And for everyone wondering why he didn’t just haul it into the boat (with the kids)…

Perhaps @anyhoo can comment on this, but I found out when I was in Australia that kangaroos can be real dicks. Even the small ones. I had one that was probably no more than 25-30# grab me and try to wrestle me down. It was a new recruit at a small rescue facility, but he was apparently feeling pretty well…

2 Likes