A family that tried to educate Texas' Attorney General finds themselves targeted with child abuse for supporting their transgender son

Clearly you don’t know any trans people or give a shit about the rest of them.

7 Likes

What?

This is not an abstract thought experiment and I’m sick of people acting like it is.

13 Likes

Billie Eilish Wtf GIF by Global Citizen

Real people are being hurt. Actual human beings, with lives, and hearts, and souls… And yes, if the law had passed, shit would be worse, but that doesn’t mean that the harm being done shouldn’t be called out. The legal opinion just gives all those bigots on down the chain cover for treating trans kids like shit.

14 Likes

“They just need to not be willing to be harmed, it’s easy!”

real housewives of new york city wtf GIF

12 Likes

By all accounts, the families being targeted are doing all they can, but that doesn’t mean that harm isn’t being done or that we shouldn’t be angry about it.

10 Likes

I’m going to step out of the conversation, but honestly, if that’s your reading of what I said, then I expressed myself even worse than I thought.

1 Like

Only with heavy-handed voter suppression.

7 Likes

That’s fine for families in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc, but utterly useless for families in rural areas and heavily conservative cities/counties. CPS is an administrative agency that can act first and requires the family to stop them in court.

As others have pointed out, it’s in some ways worse that this isn’t a law, because it can’t be overturned as easily. See also: DOJ “tradition” that the sitting President can’t be charged with a crime, despite zero statutory support for that position.

14 Likes

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

7 Likes

The Courts put the brakes on this effort for the time being.

As a given, Ken Paxton can go fuck himself. He should be rotting in prison already.

12 Likes

Unfortunately, that ruling only helps one family.

From the article:

The state has opened at least five child welfare investigations into parents of trans children since Abbott issued his directive on Feb. 22, though the real number may be much higher

10 Likes

Thank you–I misread an article about this earlier and understood that a judge had placed an injunction on this but that the appeals court had overruled the judge. It’s a great relief that the appeals court, in fact, upheld the judge’s decision.

3 Likes

Exactly. And if I’m reading it right, even a permanent injunction would only affect that district, out of Texas’ 400+ districts.

4 Likes

Actually the appeals court would cover all counties in that appellate district.

2 Likes

Yeah, I put the caveat in there because the Texas court system is complicated and huge. How many appellate districts are there? 100?

1 Like

Yikes! New York only has 4.
1 covers nearly half the state population.

1 Like

Most of us have known all along that the religious fascists were never going to stop at outlawing abortion.

5 Likes

Are you under the impression that I didn’t understand that? :thinking: I’ve kind of been noting that for years, as there have been posters who have assumed that abortion was some niche issue that we can safe trade for friendlier policies towards the white working class men…

9 Likes

That may be true but the important part is where you actually stand on this issue and what you’re doing about it.

Apart from telling women what they already know, of course; we got that one covered already, as you can see.

8 Likes