Texas social workers told to keep investigations of trans kids' families secret

Originally published at: Texas social workers told to keep investigations of trans kids' families secret | Boing Boing

13 Likes

We have been warning and telling you guys this for years now.

Now there’s secret investigations and bomb threats against kids hospitals and murder threats against doctors.

56 Likes

Some authoritarian societies have secret courts and secret police. Now we get to have secret social workers. Greaaat.

39 Likes

screw “double secret probation”.
this is Stassi-level bullshit.

27 Likes

From the Texas Tribune

The agency has been roiled by resistance and resignations since Abbott’s directive was rolled out. More than half a dozen child abuse investigators told the Tribune in April they either have resigned or are actively job hunting as a result of the directive. It’s part of a staffing crisis the agency is facing, with nearly 2,300 employees leaving since the beginning of the year, according to a Houston Chronicle report.

The Texas Tribune also has links to the documents themselves, btw.

27 Likes

If these fuckers aren’t voted out soon, we will need to move people out for their safety.

Beau of the 5th Column is sure this is going to effect National Defense, as some members of the military with family can’t/won’t move to Texas and other states now.

25 Likes

F@cking Texass

13 Likes

I don’t blame staff for resigning in protest over the policies but I also worry about who will replace them. I’m sure there are individuals who are eager to target trans kids and their families and a staffing shortage provides an excuse for the legislature to lower standards, which is the only way those people are going to get hired.

Unfortunately I don’t see a better option for the staff who oppose this. Trying to fix it from within is likely futile. Using their knowledge of the system and working as private citizens to help parents fight back could be much more effective.

22 Likes

Looks like these assholes have never heard of the 5th and 14th amendments to the US Constitution. You know, due process. Oh yeah, they skipped the 1st and stopped after the 2nd. (Which they get wrong.)

9 Likes

Agency officials informed workers they would receive case assignments pertaining to the directive over the phone, according to the Tribune.

White Hat wearers are amused and interested.

9 Likes

The whole agency has been in crisis and broken for quite a while. There’s a decade long lawsuit between Texas DFPS and the feds and how they are failing the kids in Forster care. Now the arm that investigates abuse is failing. This is very bad, not just for the trans kids and their families, who do not deserve this, but also the kids who are being abused. All for a couple of shitty white men and their ambition

30 Likes

I don’t know if the whole “keeping the entire investigation secret” thing is going to be a great success…

Like they can’t turn up to court eventually and say the evidence is secret

10 Likes

The Stasi were sticklers for keeping a paper trail.

This is mobster shit.

16 Likes

No, this is pogrom shit.

33 Likes

Feels an awful lot like Texas is seceding in slow-motion and becoming its own lawless, theocratic rogue state.

17 Likes

Bailiff, “The Prosecution Witness will approach the bench and whisper their evidence in to the Judge’s ear. Everyone else in court must cover their ears and shout, “La, la, la! I’m not listening!””

6 Likes

Like the social workers will have to remember every detail and present it all as facts not in evidence?

Surely if innocent until proven guilty, there’s not even an attempt to prove guilt.

9 Likes

This is frankly terrifying. No records, nothing to prove any accusation, just “We are here to take your kids. We don’t have to tell you why and you can’t fight it.” Fascism at it’s ultimate form.

39 Likes

mood GIF

17 Likes

My first thought was “how does Texas prosecute a case without evidence”, then I read the snippets again and realized they intend to hide all communications about the cases, but still compile evidence.

23 Likes