A fascinating interview with an artist who designs conspiracy graphics for QAnon and the Deep State Mapping Project

As an art educator, this is a sobering reminder that “the arts” don’t automatically teach critical thinking, attentive observation of the world, or empathetic sensitivity, nomatter how much advocacy makes those facile claims. It is so important HOW art (and history and media studies and literature and statistics and cetera) are taught, not simply that they are.

12 Likes

Well, look at this, an interesting side note, he refers to mystery “pylons” and it turns out, they are sort of mysterious:

These are the nuggets of truth (or at least nuggets of mystery and obfuscation) that fuel this sort of mindset.

3 Likes

I don’t think those are parodies of warning signs. I’m pretty sure they intended them to be actual warning signs to be put up by their fellow nuts around any 5G equipment.

4 Likes
How do you feel about the giant antenna on top of the freedom tower?

Well that could actually be an atmospheric harvesting antenna.

What is that?

I don’t know for sure.

11 Likes

Parodies in the sense of the design and style rather than the content. But yes, perhaps “pastiche” is the better term here for this lazy expression of talent (to be clear, pastiche can be done very well in some cases. This is not one of those cases).

7 Likes

“We do not consent to 5G”
(shows photo of 4g tower)

I’m with a few others here in saying that parroting their content and linking back to them is not a sometimes wonderful thing.

11 Likes

I wonder if you can get that Q map as a wallet card.

The voices in my head approve of this article.

5 Likes

Last year I had my first psychedelic experience with psilocybin. The next day in the process of waking up I was getting these downloads of all these questions in my mind and a very clear message. I then started doing automatic writing

Ok, now we’re getting to the bottom of things.

9 Likes

20 Likes

Of course, there are role models, patterns to which conspiracy theory maps itself. But it’s like seeing a tiger in ambush once, so you start seeing it all over the place. Pareidolia, but where instead of seeing something that looks like a face, you see a face and won’t be persuaded it wasn’t a face.

Artists can be especially susceptible, as they are expected to make up patterns where none where. And then what started as a whim, a jake (to use a Discordian term) becomes something you believe in. Slowly you start to believe that stuff you laughed about on the SubGenius forums. Things like that.

Because we are human, and have a human brain with all of its faults and all of its security vulnerabilities.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Meanwhile, the actual, ongoing conspiracy that has been happening for 3.5 straight years is the “fake” one. Russia, Ukraine, his constant soliciting of bribes, his bending of foreign policy to benefit his businesses, defense contracts that benefit his businesses, his obstruction of justice, his campaign finance violations (for which his accomplices are already in jail), just to name a few. And that’s only the stuff we know about.

But no, it’s Podesta. John Podesta. And. presumably, his risotto recipes. That are the center of the conspiracy:

It’s just going to be wonderful when he finally doesn’t have the US Attorney General and a 9500-strong legal team (ie, the Department of Justice) to defend him any more.

8 Likes

a tidy little example from the 5G post:

If we can stream YouTube with 4G, what is the point of 5G. Extermination? This is no different than chemical companies dumping their waste into public water sources, and giving cancer to millions.

…and yet, they’ve thrown all their support behind the guy who is full steam ahead very publicly dismantling environmental protections and actively encouraging companies to poison the air and water.

9 Likes

But it’s like seeing a tiger in ambush once, so you start seeing it all over the place.

But I don’t believe they ever saw the tiger.

They don’t fold any concept of the real racist conspiracies into their own mythologies. Instead they just rework the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to fit the themes of a 21st century technological society, and, most blatantly, OMIT any hint of the real, operational conspiracies that directly hurt people on a daily basis.

I think if they saw the tiger, they’d be cheering for team tiger. I think the writers of the garbage have through their careful omissions made a very distinct tiger-shaped hole in the middle of the narrative.

7 Likes

A lot of apocalyptic/millenarian religious cults survive long after their predicted day of Rapture comes and goes with no Rapture.

The more you invest yourself in these ideas the more rationale you have to invent more bullshit to justify the belief.
chief-wiggum

5 Likes

"In the English-language video, he warned Americans that they are under the control of “invisible secret societies,” and he spoke of subterranean military bases where “they abuse, torture and kill little children.”

Perhaps he left behind some “fascinating” doodles.

4 Likes

Now introducing? I was born in 1976 and was into anime in the 90’s. It ain’t new.

3 Likes

Agreed. There are actual people being trafficked and forced into slavery. There are people being murdered by the state. But they tend to be black and brown so…

3 Likes

Um… CAUSE HE’S A RICH WHITE MAN!!! :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes