Anonymous declares war on Qanon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/07/brainless-political-agenda.html

11 Likes

Has this been posted yet?

Also, I’m ready to get out of the dumb trouser leg of time now. First as tragedy then as farce indeed.

30 Likes

Well it’s about time someone in the cyberwar actually stands up for decency. Lord knows our own government won’t do it to save themsleves from foreign entities.

1 Like

Keep in mind that it’s just as easy to do an “Anonymous” video as a Hitler (Downfall) one. (Hell, Alex Jones has done a number of them.)

7 Likes

No matter whether they’re left or right, Qanon is harmful in that it deligitimizes the justice system and desensitizes people when serious and legal allegations like this come to light:

I guess it would be a good thing if Anonymous would expose this instigator.

6 Likes

Holy hell those people are idiots.

12 Likes

I don’t even know any more. I really don’t.

Other that we’re in the stupid leg in the trousers of time and I really want out of it now.

10 Likes

For crying out loud, Anonymous doesn’t exist. Can we stop with the Anonymous declares war on this or that please? They are a complete joke.

2 Likes

I was explaining the whole Qanon theory to a friend over the weekend. The words “wait, what?” and rueful laughter came up a lot on his end of the conversation. By the time JFK Jr. came into the story my friend was asking how anybody could be this stupid (at that point I explained that it’s a conspiracy that draws in other conspiracy theory loonies).

It would be awesome if, per @Mindysan33’s link, this was left-wingers trolling the Know-Nothing 27%.

10 Likes

Prank or not, the right wing will take it as far as they believe they have to. If it is a prank in an attempt to make them look deranged it is a dangerous prank because who knows what the ultimate end will be. Besides, we don’t need fake news and pranks to make the right wing look deranged. They do that to themselves just by getting up in the morning.

2 Likes

Maybe tell that to the people running this twitter account and putting up these videos?

9 Likes

I think it’s much more likely that 4chan trolls are extremely skilled at damage control by claiming they never took something (that they took very serious) seriously. Especially since the /pol/ posts are probably just using the /v/ meme.

6 Likes

The QAnon stuff holds together slightly less well than one of Robert Anton Wilson’s conspiracy novels and is a whole lot less fun. Left alone it will disappear in another month, fed by eyeballs it will expand until it takes up all the available air. I say let the idiots work each other into a lather until they get bored. It’s not as though more information will bring them back to reason.

“It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.” - William Gibbs McAdoo

8 Likes

Sure. Once again, a bunch of nerdy white dudes are smarter than the rest of us rubes. Par for the course.

4 Likes

Anonymous has declared many “wars”. By my count, nothing has come of any of them.
What happened after Anonymous “declared war” on ISIS? Nothing.

We’ve met the Qanon folks before. They were the birther and “secret muslim” crowd. They didn’t fade away, instead they doubled down on stupid.

I wonder what compels people to make an ass of themselves?

8 Likes

Pizzagate resulted in this:

This Qanon bullshit could result in much worse.

10 Likes

That “theory” doesn’t even begin to hold water, especially when one considers the baby-snatching going on at the border.

Also if you’re going to fight pedos, there’s no need to keep it a secret.

14 Likes

I know, right?

I do wonder about the rise of conspiracy theories, which seem to be a constiuent part of modernity. Are conspiracy theories, which have no real logic in reality, but have some internal consistency, a form of mythology to help people get through the day in a world where everything seems so far out of their control, and really anyone’s control?

16 Likes

I explored their website for a few minutes, and it really is just like this:

(Can’t link directly, because Jews and Freemasons.)

4 Likes