A feel-good earworm: The Banana Splits theme

If you like to mosh.

2 Likes

It’s a great, fun nod to Chloe Grace Moretz’ role as Hit Girl in Kick Ass, one I’d hope most young viewers of Nimona wouldn’t get. Hit Girl killed a LOT of people to that happy tune :grimacing:

If people haven’t seen Nimona yet, why not!? It’s amazing, I love it.

6 Likes

came here to say that that version of this most wretched tune (Hit Girl’s ballet du meurtre, from KickAss) is my favorite. possibly due to the absolute rage the tune invokes in me. yes, murderous rage at the very hearing of it. coupled with the images of those… costumed things cavorting about, makes me want to spill copious blood.
this is not a happy tune.
and, yes, some of those amusement park scenes were filmed at Six Flags in Arlington, TX. i grew up a couple hours away from that place, in that time that Banana Splits had its morning TV run. i recognized the rides even then.

gawd how i hated those idiot goons and their stupid antics. the song makes me crazy.

kill 'em all, Hit Girl. kill them all.

perhaps i should seek counseling. :thinking:

4 Likes

Bob Marley’s “Oi Oi OI” came out 4 years after the Banana Splits debuted onna teevee. Marley has some ‘splainin’ to do? Or was he just digging on some cannabis one day, saw “Banana Split” in the TV Guide, had the munches, and did his version as a quiet homage? Anyone?

5 Likes

OMG this reminded me of one of my favorite afterschool shows: ‘The Goodies’!!

2 Likes

Coney Island was owned by Taft Broadcasting, which also owned Hanna-Barbera. In 1972, they moved a lot of the rides at Coney Island to Taft’s new King’s Island into what is now called Coney Mall.

Sadly, Cincinnati’s original Coney Island closed at the end of 2023.

6 Likes

… actual song (not a youtube loop joke)

4 Likes

I’m getting ready to start using the Banana Splits theme to wean my great-nephew off of that awful “Baby Shark” song :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The motif is also used in “Give Him Cornbread” by Beau Jocque and the Zydeco Hi Rollers. Of course, this was a much later use. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be a callback to Banana Splits or to Marley, or if the phrase had just so entered public consciousness by this point that it was just seen as a fun, familiar riff.

Beau Jocque would have been in his late teens during the Banana Splits era, so… :shrugmoji:

3 Likes

Rather fond of the Calliopasaxaviatrumparimbaclaribasotrombaphone myself.

2 Likes

Ohio, I never woulda guessed. I appreciate you all googling that for me!

Some of the other shows that I remember from my real young days were things like Courtship of Eddy’s Father, Room 222, and most similarly, New Zoo Revue. Of course, we kids overdosed on things like Adam 12 and Emergency! too (which were always shown back to back).

4 Likes

I was shocked to see Paul Winchell listed among the voices in the ending credits.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of the Goodies. Very Monty Pythonesque. I understand that they were contemporaries…Thanks for introducing me to more quality British humour from the 1970s. :laughing:

1 Like

Aweomse!

I think of them as Monty Python adjacent, but more frenetic and silly…yup, I said that :laughing:

He voiced Fleegle:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.