"The Banana Splits" trailer is nightmare fuel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/14/the-banana-splits-trailer.html

2 Likes

Did anyone actually enjoy “The Banana Splits” as a kid?

I always considered them the annoying filler between the H-B cartoon segments I liked.

14 Likes

“The Banana Splits movie: Because we couldn’t get the rights to make a Five Nights At Freddy’s movie”

34 Likes

And it ends with look for it on Blu-Ray and Digital.
So direct to video says so much about the quality of the film.

12 Likes

Will there be cartoons?

8 Likes

i liked them because, even when i was 10 or 11, i had an appreciation for the deranged. i particularly liked the “danger island” segment. at 12 or 13 i created a highly repetitive and dissonant piano vamp i called “imminent danger” based on my memories of that segment and at 15 or 16 i wrote out a scenario for a movie to be recorded in super 8 format that i was going to call “stick figures 3” (don’t ask) which would have consisted entirely of a sequence of framing shots of the actors showing various levels of fear and distress with their expressions and body language which would be interlaced with intertitles describing the action (never shown on screen). the entire point was to constantly be seen to be trying to build suspense which never paid off. at the end a final intertitle would explain in print almost to small to read how everyone escaped the danger being set up. the end.

16 Likes

It’s not entirely clear from the promo if this is meant to be scary or funny (though that is true of a lot of horror movies). I mean, it could be another Killer Clowns from Outer Space, or it could just suck.

4 Likes

An acid fueled creepy pasta (ala Dead Bart) styled Hanna-Barbera cartoon would be so amazing!

5 Likes

Wow, just, Wow. I like it.

3 Likes

So it’s an unlicensed adaptation of Five Nights at Freddy’s? Gotcha.

7 Likes
10 Likes

There is also a legit Five Nights at Freddy’s movie but the game creator was doing the script and delayed the movie because he decided to rewrite it last minute (from what I read online yesterday)

6 Likes

The tradition continues!

7 Likes

It’s scifi so you can bet it’s going to be bad or the “we’re trying too hard to make a funny bad b-movie”

6 Likes

So this is an Tombstone/Wyatt Earp* Thing? Where the earlier production is bogged down in difficulties and a cheaper more quickly produced film beats them to the punch?

*Also known as the:
Deepstar Six/Leviathian/The Abyss
Independence Day/Mars Attacks

3 Likes

Not much info from IMDB, except that it was filmed in Cape Town, South Africa. So, maybe it should have more Ninja and Yolandi.

18 Likes

I guess SyFy decided that since “Happy!” was a success, that they would go with something in a similar vein…

5 Likes

Okay, well, the title didn’t lie.

2 Likes

Armageddon / Deep Impact
No Strings Attached / Friends with Benefits
Olympus Has Fallen / White House Down

Apparently the “Twin Films” concept goes back a long way.

8 Likes

Man, that’s just blatantly ripping off Five Nights at Freddy’s. Ugh.

I would much rather see a movie about Snorky being an actual friend to kids.

8 Likes