A feel-good earworm: The Banana Splits theme

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/a-feel-good-earworm-the-banana-splits-theme.html

8 Likes

Just look at it!

11 Likes

I’m rather fond of the cover that Liz Phair and Material Issue did

16 Likes

Good times. I remember that the show was either followed or preceded by The Monkeys or maybe it was Batman. Sooo much silliness!

11 Likes

Hearing this tune while watching Nimona

:rofl:

5 Likes

Excellent version. Not heard that before - My fave:

13 Likes

That microphone…

:laughing:

5 Likes

For number crunching servers (mostly for protein structure analysis c1988ish) we had four DEC VAXes with hostnames: Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and, Snorky. …every visiting academic ended up asking, and there was one designated postdoc [sad hand to chest] who had to try to explain it to them. (‘Drooper’ always needed regular reboots for some reason)

15 Likes

I seem to recall Banana Splits following Sigmund and the Sea Monsters or Land of the Lost on our network. Good times, good times.

12 Likes

I’m weirded.

Exactly four About eight hours ago I posted this exact video in a (almost but not quite) work chat as an answer to some colleagues saying they had banana split at the canteen.
Screenshots on request.

In fact, I also posted Lio’s “Banana Split” - but not the same song so irrelevant here.
(lest someone think I’m a pervert, my musical tastes line up with the Dickies, not Lio)

Eta:
Tuesday, not today and more like 8 hours ago, but still:

Translation:
Friend: “Tuesday at TF we had banana split”
Me: “Was Lio there?” “Or the Dickies?”

4 Likes

I, too, have a cover of The Tra La La Song that I like.

6 Likes

Banana Splits was directed by Superman and Lethal Weapon’s Richard Donner!

8 Likes

I remember they had weekly serial episodes of “Danger Island” featuring a young Jan Michael-Vincent.
IMG_4747

5 Likes

I have this album on my desk! I ripped it ages ago and never found a good place to store it. This one and Schoolhouse Rock Rocks! were on repeat a lot in my car back in the day.

We either had The Monkees or the Great Space Coaster, I can’t recall.

5 Likes

“Uh Oh, Chongo!”

2 Likes

Where was a lot of that filmed? I see cable cars, so that’s SF, but the amusement park, I wanna say maybe Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, esp since there are beach/surf sequences right there. Plus, in those buggies, it sure looks like the golden hills of North California.

2 Likes

Was going to post this version too. Even have it yellow vinyl. Ironically I never saw the original show in the UK. Probably because it was on ITV and my mum didn’t let me watch ITV.

1 Like

Am I seeing that right? At 43 seconds, in the bottom left, a tail falls off!

4 Likes

I found info below on Wikipedia. I think they mean King’s Island in Cincinnati since there’s no Coney Island there.

“For the first season, some of the live-action segments, specifically those used during the musical segments, were shot at Six Flags Over Texas. For the second season, filming took place at the Coney Island amusement park in Cincinnati, Ohio. In many episodes, the Banana Splits were seen riding the many rides at Six Flags and Coney Island.”

3 Likes

I grew up with the Banana Splits, I’m too old.

I do love the Dickies version, especially as part of the soundtrack to Kick Ass.

Caution, extreme violence perpetrated by a 12 year old.

4 Likes