A (flawed) troll-detection tool maps America's most and least toxic places

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/22/freedom-and-unity.html

2 Likes

I work hard to be a progressive on this list, trolling the heck out of the conservative idiots I’m surrounded by… I hope I’m in!

3 Likes

I want so badly to troll this thread, but, I just can’t bring myself to actually do it.

3 Likes

It seems calling a slimeball a slimeball is toxic.

2 Likes

The model defines a toxic comment as “a rude, disrespectful, or unreasonable comment that is likely to make you leave a discussion.”

Vermont here, you goat suckers can just leave now because, Nazis.

Did I do it correctly?

Now that I think about it more, we do have some rude cowardly people here. This was mailed to me anonymously a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

Growing up in NH I was often told by friends just across the river that people in VT are much nicer. Well now…

I’m assuming that identifying “kekistan” as the most toxic place is considered either cheating or tautology?

Also, isn’t this “perspectives API” dangerously close to an expert system trained to reward smarm? That seems like a rather dire crime against discourse.

2 Likes

How do you suppose you’d take that criticism if he walked up and knocked on your door and told you the same?

I hope I would be able to have a civil conversation about it. It’s hard telling though since I have no idea what they would be like.

I’m certainly not going to run out and buy a load of weed killer. My yard is not the worst in the neighborhood by any means and isn’t atrocious so I wonder if a lot of letters were sent out. In addition they have no idea whether there could be a reason it’s not a showcase yard. What if I had been too sick to spend much time on it? A letter like that could cause emotional distress to someone.

Basically my feeling is if they’re not willing to discuss it with me then they should just keep it to themselves. As it was done it felt like an anonymous internet troll in analog form.

2 Likes

Have you checked local real estate listings?

Unless the writer is lying about being a long time resident; the main reason I can think of(aside from more exotic personality changers like brain tumors and certain drugs) is that someone is looking to sell, which has brought out all the same instincts of an HOA busybody who has no gods before Property Values.

If they are lying about the length of their tenure, it could be the “I knew exactly what I was walking into; and I want it changed now!” brigade that usually handles gentrification and conversion of rural areas into exurbs.

If no plausible candidates have either recently entered the area or are looking to cash out; I find it hard to imagine what the deal is. 14 years is a long time to hold your peace without making it; so I would have expected such a note either years ago or never.(Adult children caregiving for a sick parent? Those would be potential 14 year residents who grew into caring about suburban verdance competition and are now stressed out enough to be more prone to asshole outbursts.)

2 Likes

I poked around a little then decided I shouldn’t waste time on worrying about it.

I did wonder a bit about early stages of dementia or Alzheimer’s. I have seen that accentuate already curmudgeonly behaviour.

2 Likes

Why do they care how your property cooks?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.