A glass bridge shatters, killing one tourist and injuring three others

Originally published at: A glass bridge shatters, killing one tourist and injuring three others | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Yikes. If they were able to get away with such thin glass panels it sounds like some serious regulation is needed

This glass bridge in China is probably much safer but the builders had a sick sense of humor:

8 Likes

Regulation seems to be something that’s an afterthought all over the world these days. #CapitalismFirst :cry:

14 Likes

The ads on the news desk was … interesting. Soon reporters will be wearing jackets with sponsor patches just like sportsing players.

6 Likes

You would think that it would be a multilayered, laminated glass for something like that, so even if one failed, the laminate would keep it intact long enough to move from that pane.

9 Likes

As a former glazier, the thickness alone would have me warning everyone else there not to walk on it – whether it was laminate, tempered, whatever.

(For what it’s worth, the length of my left pinky nail is exactly one centimeter)

21 Likes

I hope those fake breaking glass bridges didn’t contribute to this incident.

It would be horrible if they thought it was a video effect and didn’t move.

5 Likes

There was a Halfway to Hell Club at the Golden Gate bridge for a good reason…

4 Likes

Thankfully, my irrational fear of heights prevents me from going even on those glass panels in the Tokyo Tower and so on, let alone a huge eff off long bridge.

9 Likes

Dosen’t that change, or do you file it down every day?

Or did you mean width?

Also I hate hate hate glass stuff. Windows, ok. Hate glass furniture, and even shelving. I would make a bad glazier.

7 Likes

Not from the base of the cuticle to the edge of the free margin, it doesn’t. I’m not including the part we trim regularly.

Additonally, we’re only talking about a millimeter difference when it comes to glass that’s supposed to support a human being’s weight?

Season 5 Whats The Difference GIF by Living Single

8 Likes

I had a claustrophobic video of this somewhere…

2 Likes

That wasn’t glass breaking though, that was poor design. The metal rods holding up the walkway were attached poorly to the metal girders (they connections weren’t wide enough to distribute load, especially when multiple levels were full)

A tragedy and a great example of poor engineering (and, of contactors ignoring their engineers!), but not actually related to the glass itself. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

My brain, quite horribly, went straight to Squid Game.
But this is a horrible story through and through.

3 Likes

A Fascination with Failure: Death On The Dancefloor (Classic) - Cautionary Tales with Tim Harford - Omny.fm goes into the detail of what went wrong - a subtle change in the design, the original design should have been fine (but was very difficult to construct, hence the change). A very good podcast feed.

3 Likes

Yep. one of my phobias clearly justified.

same dumb principle…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.