A Good Guy With a Gun

Also known as the Lake Wobegon Effect:

Lake Wobegon, where the women are strong, the men are good-looking and all the children are above average.

2 Likes

6 Likes

It is. I don’t want the nukes that I have. I need a spot for another couch.

2 Likes

4 Likes

8 Likes

Apart from the amount of money they sling around and the crypto-bigot line of fear they sling? Like that’ll ever resonate in this country.

2 Likes

100,000 papercuts will kill you too.

Know what actually leads to bleeding out? Assault rifles.

6 Likes

Jordan Klepper’s finest hour

Id like to know as well. Let’s look at the data gathered on gun violence in america. Oh wait…

1 Like

When you can’t argue with what they have to say, just attack the way they say it!

(Is there a name for this feeble tactic?)

1 Like

But this video clearly is echo chamber comedy. Show it to a bunch of Oathkeepers and they’ll just spend the whole time making fun of it, not getting “the message.” So how effective is it at puncturing the “good guy with a gun” myth among the people that hold it? And admittedly I’m not sure it’s concerned with being an “effective rhetorical tool” so much as a “decent (but highly watered down so HuffPo and Boing Boing will write about it) bit of dark humor”, but if you’re arguing it’s in any way the former then I’d say that yeah, it’s pretty much 100% appeal to ridicule which isn’t much of an argumentation tactic.

Whereas I can certainly imagine a video that could also demonstrate the fallacy of the “good guy with a gun” myth in a way that would be compelling to 2nd Amendment activists: you could do a tragic version of Papasan’s jokey image above about not being able to identify “good guys” and “bad guys”. You could certainly appeal to gun people by showing how bad guys usually come out to do bad things with body armor and explosives and your puny little open carry .357 is going to do bupkus.

1 Like

I’m not arguing it’s in any way the former.

Sorry, I used your post as a springboard for my own little mini-rant : )

2 Likes

Well, yeah, that’s what a I mean. If you tell people something happens 5% of the time, they mostly think that means it literally never happens, except when they figure that they will definitely be the exception. I don’t know the factors that go into making this distinction, but I assume it is probably just an extension of whatever they were going to think anyway.

Look, I know that more than 50% of people who think they are responsible are just examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect, but not me.

3 Likes

The rest of the world sighs in relief and says we will hold her to that.

I had to explain this to my doctor once when I was having a side effect from a medication that was making me think about suicide. I said, “At my age, I’m more likely to kill myself than to have a heart attack. If I was in here with pains in my chest you’d be taking it seriously, why aren’t you taking this seriously?” People still basically think we are magical beings of pure will capable of absolute choice and agency.

8 Likes

Here’s the problem. If he spends the whole time acting like a dumb asshole who sneers at guns, then the demonstration that he is useless with a gun doesn’t carry any weight or actually produce any evidence that non-useless people will not potentially be of use during a shooting spree. And given that the end of his demonstration included police shooting him while he was surrendering with his hands up, it’s difficult to determine whether any part of what they did was honest or valid. There’s one expert casting doubt on the effectiveness of a legally-armed person, and the rest is the jackass fantasizing about confiscation. So, there’s not a lot of daylight between “what they say” and “the way they say it” here.

Ever get angry over something dumb and can’t figure out why? It’s because you’re a primate. We’re not biologically all that far from flinging shit when threatened. Hell, we do it rhetorically.

2 Likes

Of course, having realized that we can be mindful of it and try to do a little better, right? I mean, intelligent people wouldn’t just use that as an excuse for how they were going to behave anyway… right?

5 Likes

A few years ago my onco switched me to a new cancer drug, which has a high percentage rate (70%) of a particularly painful physical side effect (bone pain), and a lesser-but-still-not-negligible rate of depression as a side effect. At the first followup, her first question was whether or not I was experiencing the physical side effect. Yes, I said, but I want to talk about the fact that I’m also experiencing the depression. She started asking questions, typing on her computer the whole time. Within a few minutes, she had determined what anti-depressant was the right one to start with, and told me she’d already sent the prescription to my pharmacy.

Any doctor who doesn’t understand that depression is real and dangerous and can come from out of nowhere at any point, for a variety of reasons, isn’t a doctor worth having.

6 Likes

Like any normal human I also explained to my doc I had anxiety and depression. She prescribed, without any tests, two anti depressants over a short period of time. Neither worked (surprise!).

Neither worked because the root of the problem is my testosterone levels are below 100. And ADs don’t do jack about that.

God, even just angrily typing that probably raised my levels :slight_smile:

5 Likes