A grocery store was once shut down so Michael Jackson could shop like an ordinary person

That and Luke and Laura on General Hospital. Crazy times.

2 Likes

Back in the 80s (when dimetrodons ruled the Earth) I lived in Santa Barbara. The rumor was that from time to time MJ would come to town with his current young boy and shop at the toy store at the mall. It was said that he wore a disguise of remarkably bad quality (think Groucho Marx glasses) and the people in the store would pretend not to know who it was.

2 Likes

There was a distinct lack of an actual grocery list in this. For that added touch of reality, he should have had to buy stuff from a list.

Then he could have experienced the mind numbing stupor of the stock boy not knowing what aisle the pickled herring is in as he keeps guessing the wrong one. Could’ve got in a patented MJ rage yell.

2 Likes

Or buying X thing, coming home and being told he bought the wrong one.

4 Likes

to go grocery shopping like a regular person, to experience what it was like

But did they throw the bread and eggs into the bottom of the bag, only to be crushed by a big jar of pickles?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Does this mean MJ ain’t dead?

2 Likes

He is hanging out with Elvis and Jim Morrison in seclusion.

2 Likes

That’s a hell’ava line up!

2 Likes

Fixed the headline.

Do you remember the time a grocery store was once shut down so Michael Jackson could shop like an ordinary person?

2 Likes

Wait…you shop with a LIST??? Who does that?

2 Likes

Do you remember that some people were too young when it happened or may have not been born during said time?

2 Likes

Was not meant as a literal reference but as a reference to the song. In fact no one should remember this.

Keep in mind this was pre-smartphone, pre-Twitter. Imagine how hard it is to be a celebrity in an era where everyone around you is uploading your precise GPS coordinates in pretty much real time.

In 2003 someone like Michael could probably roll up on a mall, quickly get something a jet out.

Now the second a celebrity enters that mall a tweet goes out, and a crowd will meet them when they step off the escalator…

I guess that’s part of why celebrities congregate in LA/NYC - having so many around lessens the “wow” factor.

2 Likes

I do. I swear I’m like the Space Ghost Coast to Coast version of Brak trying to remember to pick up milk for his mom.

“Milk, milk, milk, milk, milk, milk, milk, milk, milk…Oh, hey, little doggie!”

2 Likes

Yes … I worked at an attraction in Phoenix and Charles Barkley would call to see if the coast was clear so he could bring his little girl and act like a dad, not deal with herds of fans.

The ONE thing you can give a famous person that their money can’t buy is privacy and silence.

2 Likes

It’s been stranger.

2 Likes

That’s how I do it. One of the little maneuverable carts and a list. Get in, get the stuff, get out.

3 Likes

Cue the sun!

1 Like

When it comes to music, William Shatner should never be the first artist who comes to mind.

2 Likes