A "hand gyroscope" that is sleek, futuristic, and begs to be passed around

[Read the post]

1 Like

I love these. Warning: while it’s much easier and more satisfying to get the ball rolling (har har!) by rubbing it quickly over a carpet, rather than using the string, if you do this too many times you’ll get too much dust in the ball for it to spin fast.

Humans belief in the “law” of gravity will always lead hipsters to spin around with gyroscopes. Don’t get me wrong, I want one so bad, and you will find me spinning around in nearby fields and lawns, just practicing.

I have one from 20 years ago, when they were frist being brought out, and companies like Nordic Track were claiming a cure for RSI. Don’t know about that, but it’s fun to see how fast you can spin it (mine has a speedometer). Drawback is noise - all of my new coworkers object to the humming sound it makes.

1 Like

I looked, didn’t see any sample pages from this power ball on Wink.

1 Like

Spins up with a trimmed dress shoe string when the one that comes with it loses its end. Where in the world did the ones that are self-contained, a little bigger, and have a ripcord built in go? It’s sad not to see those relaunched…POV displays et al.

Anyone know the tricks to starting it on your hand/arm beyond than to have callused hands/arms? Be holding some low-pile carpet I guess?

1 Like

I don’t mean to be overly critical but it seems like Boing Boing is just shilling for amazon these days. Thsi product has been around for 20 years or more. It’s not really new or neat enough for the brand of Boing Boing. Of course, neither am I.

They’re not shilling for Amazon, at least not in this case - this is a sponsored post by Wink and a pretty obvious one. They’re easy enough to avoid (see also: posts pointing to the “Boing Boing Store”, which is just a reskinned version of the previous gadget site they were doing sponsored posts for). The way I look at it is - they need to make money somehow, so if sponsored posts are the way to go, then so be it.

1 Like

AH. Thanks. That clears it up a bit and we all gotta make money.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.