A hard-sell con that cleaned out its desperate victims: behind the $25,000,000 Trump University settlement

4 Likes

this also seems relevant here:

[quote]It is the actions of US businesses, like [Trump’s], that lie behind the failure of the economy to deliver rising living standards for ordinary Americans. They have made money by extracting value, not creating it.

… Trump’s behaviour – setting up businesses, letting them fail, avoiding paying suppliers, using bankruptcy laws to avoid taxes for decades, then setting up another business somewhere else – is the perfect symbol of this asset-stripping form of capitalism.

It is this breaking of the unwritten contract between capital and labour – that is, the sense of shared purpose and shared reward between the American worker and his or her employer and an associated failure to support American workers as they adapt to structural and technological changes - that lies at the heart of the problem. It is not the robots that are the enemy.[/quote]
Trump is part of the problem, not the solution.

14 Likes

I guess press conferences are done now, the press have to come to Herr Trumpenführer on bended knee for OTR briefings.

11 Likes

In 4 years: “It would have been even worse under Clinton”.

6 Likes

Eh - to be fair the top right is probably the most important new news, and it is above the fold.

Most people are already aware of the Trump school scam.

1 Like

Yeah, that doesn’t look good at all :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m truly happy that the lawyers took this as a pro bono case, and that the plaintiffs appear to be getting at least a sizable chunk of the money they lost back, however … is anyone as disappointed as I am that this thing didn’t go to trial? It would have been nice to see justice as well as recompense done in this case. Some legal precedent set. A settlement seems like a movie missing the third act. No really satisfying resolution.

15 Likes

Completely agree. He can legit walk away saying he didn’t do anything wrong. He HAS walked away, saying he didn’t do anything wrong. A judgement would’ve made a great inauguration-day present.

11 Likes

A hard-sell con that cleaned out its desperate victims: behind the Republican Party

3 Likes

Warren Harding. He tried to sell off anything not nailed down to his cronies.

5 Likes

That people couldn’t see that boggles my mind. It couldn’t have been any more obvious.
Given the promises he made and how easy he claimed it would be to fulfill those promises (e.g. a phone call), people are expecting immediate improvements - jobs slated for outsourcing to be kept in the country. So within months of taking office, he will already have failures. He can make up stories about how he saved factories from moving out of the country (that were never going to) all he wants, but when actual outsourcing and automation make people unemployed, they’ll notice. And while he will, no doubt, fuck the economy long-term, I suspect the short-term benefits, if any, will bypass the upper-middle class, blue collar, white voters who got him into office. Given the entire crux of his popularity is the great things he would do if only he were in charge, he’s going to have to start coming up with some fancy excuses, right now.

9 Likes

Now that they settled with no admission of wrongdoing we will never know how much money they really scammed. According the the National Review $20,000 was a mid range loss of members of the lawsuit and there were almost 8,000 students. That means that even with the settlement, it was a successful venture.

Justice served.

4 Likes

If the universe has a narrative drive this is what would be known as foreshadowing.

7 Likes

“Trump University Playbook”

Classy!

1 Like

The scary part is that he will need to create a distraction from his economic failures. Find a scapegoat and focus people on that scapegoat. Seems like Muslims are the likely scapegoat based on his rhetoric to date, but Mexicans are plausible co-scapegoats too. Other candidates would be LGBT people and pot smokers. Historically, distracting populations from economic failures is often done by propagating violence and hatred, launching wars, rounding people up and jailing them, etc.

8 Likes

I’d ask if anyone seriously believes that he didn’t do anything wrong, but I guess the recent election answers that question.

1 Like

I agree.

I meant that in a narrow technical legal sense, in the sense of the settlement, he can legitimately say there was no wrong doing. Which is exactly the reason for the post @xkot made. I think we agree that Trump University was a scam run by a turd, regardless of this settlement, but Trumpkins can still point at the settlement and - validly - say there was no finding of wrongdoing.

4 Likes

I will be eagerly awaiting my cash settlement!

4 Likes

He settled the lawsuits because a fraud conviction would disqualify him for the presidency. (yes it’s a law)

3 Likes

That’s Amway’s bread and butter, for sure.

4 Likes