A horror story: "Earn $20K EVERY MONTH by being your own boss"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/26/a-horror-story-earn-20k-every-month-by-being-your-own-boss.html

16 Likes

Two mandolins? That’s crazy talk! :wink:

18 Likes

It saves on cleanup because you can have one to play while using the other to chop vegetables (not that I quite understand how that is supposed to work but apparently some people do that with their mandolins).

26 Likes

BDG works for polygon now. He does their “unraveled” series. It’s worthwhile.

6 Likes

“And every 15th of the month I get wired between ten and twenty thousands dollars straight into my bank account. And where’s that money coming from? … I don’t 100% know.”
https://youtu.be/wbfu39l0kxg?t=65

:joy:

9 Likes

BDG’s videos, both solo and for Polygon, have always been fire. My wife can’t stand him, and I get it, but he works for me. If you like this weird, horror-adjacent type of video, make sure you watch the one about jorts.

7 Likes

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing it Mark, definitely. a new subscriber to this channel

4 Likes

His super shiny fingernails may be the most creepy part of the whole thing.

5 Likes

Some days I too move things from one spreadsheet to another and I’m not sure why. However I am not my own boss and sadly do not making 20K a month.

12 Likes

The creepiest part is that I now have a burning desire to create a business where this task makes sense. There’s no hope for me, go on on without me, sentient beings.

6 Likes

Um, not to be picky, but strictly speaking, he doesn’t work for you. He’s his own boss.

17 Likes

So I was planning to go out through the woods to do some astrophotography tonight. Sure that still seems like a good idea, right? Right?

4 Likes

This is good…

2 Likes

It may not be that the specific act of moving specific cells of symbols to another spreadsheet is important, but just that he’s constantly saving updates to them. The files might reside on a server somewhere that is tied in to a supernatural device that keeps the void darkness at bay as long as the server doesn’t go to sleep. He’s just one of many contract workers doing the same across several shifts.

The person transferring the money to the account is a version of him from an alternate dimension where the void darkness succeeded because he ignored his task and he escaped to our dimension and now works to ensure the void darkness doesn’t succeed here as well. The money has to be lucrative enough that people don’t get complacent and find another job. Where does the money come from? Another version of him from a third dimension…

6 Likes

This is a more tangible pitch than most startups.

16 Likes

It is from your own account… that part didn’t make sense until I realized that I am my own boss.

Such a deep truth about MLM.

12 Likes

Ever since I watched Dark and Curon, I’ve been my own boss too!

Actually, I kinda want to kill my boss, but I can’t. I mean it would be bad.

1 Like

I was extra confused because I interpreted “every fifteenth of the month” as “every two days.”

4 Likes

In the old days you worked from home stuffing envelopes.

Typically the envelopes contained information on how to work from home stuffing envelopes, which you mailed to people interested in working from home stuffing envelopes, and you also had to pay for the envelopes and their contents up front to get started on your promising career stuffing envelopes.

So when I see these “work from home” scams appearing in comments threads, I think back to when I was a pimply faced teen and learned about stuffing envelopes.

munny2

10 Likes

I like this…and it’s rare in that I wish it were longer, and had taken more time to draw out the discovery process

4 Likes