A hot dog is neither a sandwich, nor a taco — it is a synthesizer

I’d argue taco sandwich hybrid.

1 Like

Thank you, Linneaus of the lunchfood.

3 Likes

A hot dog is an open faced Sausage Wellington, duh.

2 Likes

This is the chart I needed a few years ago, when a colleague and I had a days long “argument” about the nature of sandwiches. I think I’m going to send this to him and see if we can’t go round a bit longer.

2 Likes

was the crunching sound from the dog or your teeth?

1 Like

i see what you did there

1 Like

Congratulations Crispy - that got a big laugh out of me.

1 Like

No! A hot dog is not a taco! The crunch option is a factor that cannot be ignored!

2 Likes

Meat in tube form was a favorite of Anthony Bourdain…

That’s where my love is coming from as much as synth tech :heart:

2 Likes

I am honored sire, thank you!

and BTW smulder, all things in the chart are correct, except a pop-tart is a Dumpling.

4 Likes

Bob Moog died for our synths, and this is how we thank him?

8 Likes

False.

Serve a gob of peanut butter or a slice of bologna without bread and no one in their right mind would ever call it a “sandwich.” Serve a hot dog without a bun and it’s still a “hot dog.”

There is an entire franchise built around serving hot dogs without buns.

Also, to “sandwich” something means to put between two distinct elements, so a hot dog still does not become a sandwich even placed within a single split bun. You can “sandwich” a person between two mattresses, but you can’t “sandwich” a person in a beanbag chair or a sleeping bag.

If the act of encasing a food in bread automatically transformed it into a sandwich then a clam chowder bread bowl would count as a sandwich.

7 Likes

but a pop-tart is clearly a ravioli

5 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9SUXVU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00E9SUXVU&pd_rd_w=nK5nS&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=yAVye&pf_rd_r=QDKBPJVZNFFWEN955J6Q&pd_rd_r=bb5d216d-5569-4312-aef6-a4e5232f03ac&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBVUQ1QUc4MVdITzkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMzkwMTQ0TUU5RkFBRTdJMlMmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDUwNTE2NzI0Qkg2QlBWUzNSUTkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

1 Like

The monster from the Id ain’t got nothin’ on these hot dogs.

1 Like

Not a sandwich - not wrapped in grain dough.

Not a sandwich - IF not wrapped in grain dough. With bread casing, cooked at same time - Dumpling.

False, a slice of bread folded over ingrediants is Sandwich; see Taco.

Ah, you are confusing another Genus of the family Things Wrapped in Grain Doughs, which is the Open Face Sandwich - typified by one side broadly exposed, and consumed with fork and sometimes knife. Bread soup bowls however are not in this genus because consumed with spoon.

You are not going to do well on the pop quiz…

6 Likes

Hot dogs existed as street food long before anyone thought to serve them inside a bun, and are still packaged and sold as “hot dogs” independently of the buns. The bun itself is an optional accessory.

Even if we were to accept the premise that a hot dog served in a bun is a sandwich (a premise I reject for the reasons stated above), then saying “a hot dog IS a sandwich” would be a nonsensical blanket statement along the same lines as “ice cream is a sandwich.”

5 Likes

my Jalisco street tacos say otherwise, good sir!

ETA: Jalisco’s is the name of the most excellent taco stand up in Key Largo.

2 Likes

semantics - words routinely have dual meanings. I suppose you refer to a hamburger as a “hamburger sandwich”?

This is science sir! It won’t be corrupted by non-mask wearing politicos. Sandwich is truth - undebatable!

3 Likes

When you buy ground beef formed into patties they are sold as “hamburger patties,” not “hamburgers.” A potential component of a whole that only becomes “a hamburger” when cooked and served in a split bun. Even the term “hamburger on a stick” evokes an image of ground beef between two pieces of bread impaled on a piece of wood.

When you buy a pack of wieners they are sold as “hot dogs” in and of themselves.

4 Likes