A human being at Facebook manually approved the idea of targeting ads to users interested in "white genocide"

Makes me want to once again spell…

4 Likes

hey I’m sure there’s got to be a few of them, enough to create the group label, and then a bunch who never use the label but whose behavior puts them in league with those few who have. sort of like in real life.

2 Likes

Human people.

1 Like

First, you seem to believe that that hating Jewish people is a sort of optional side effect of identifying as a Nazi or a Klansman or an Aryan, when in fact it’s baked right into being those things. Identifying as any of those things is effectively identifying as an anti-Semite or racist.

The same goes for any right-wing populist movement in the West. With any of them, the appearance of anti-Semitism and racism is (as Chris Rock said 14 years ago) a train that’s never late. Lots of examples of those movements if you need them, but perhaps you’re familiar with the term MAGA.

The moment I saw these political movements forming up in earnest a number of years ago I told people “here we go again with anti-Semitism.” The ones who studied history and political science understood then and there what I was saying; the ones who didn’t … well, they’re now all wide-eyed with dismay and can’t wrap their heads around the fact that in 2018, two years after 10s of millions of Americans voted for a xenophobic and racist right-wing populist regime, that there are “suddenly” hundreds of thousands of Americans who could be targetted as believing in a “white genocide” conspiracy theory – not understanding that the latter are a subset of the former because (again) bigotry is baked into the movement.

Now you might say, “hey, some of Il Douche’s supporters are Jewish|black|hispanic … I’m so confused.” But like those described above, they’re also ignorant of history or are under the delusional impression that as “good ones” (pets and kapos) they’ll be spared the effects of this right-wing populist regime’s inherent anti-Semitism and racism.

This is why your “golly gee willikers, how could this have happened?” comment got the eyerolling responses it did from myself and @Navarro and @Papasan and (indirectly) from @Shuck: because we’re tired of people who couldn’t be arsed to study history suddenly ending up “shocked” that Jew-haters are coming out of the woodwork at this moment, especially when we’ve been warning of the danger for years while those same people dismissed us and asked us to give the right-wing populists a platform and fair hearing in the name of “free speech”.

8 Likes

Some of them have been funding white supremacists for political uses, under that impression that’s it’s a buffet, and they can leave the antisemitism in the steam tray.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Excellent use of metaphor to explain passive racism and bigotry; glad you shared it again here.

8 Likes

I’ve never claimed to be surprised by the existence of antisemitism and other bigotry, so please stop pretending that I have. Rather than just repeating your claims about how much history you have studied, why don’t you simply back up your claim?

Why don’t you simply provide these examples of people in the past commonly and publicly using the actual term “Jew Hater” as an identity, for example on a calling card or stationary or something of that nature?

If your brain again immediately jump to “but Nazis hate Jews and people identify as Nazi.” Yes, of course, they do. That is not in dispute, and people identifying as a Nazi is not surprising. Please re-read the article or my original comment again if this point is not clear.

The way FB formed the “white genocide” target and the “Jew Hater” target groups were different. That difference is the surprising part. The fact that these groups could be formed is not surprising.

But you did claim to be surprised by something equally unsurprising to anyone who’s studied history:

Golly, gee, how could that happen in America in 2017? Sooo confusing!

Do you think that’s what these FB users were doing in the current case? “Believes in white genocide conspiracy theory” was a FB advertising category that the company provided to its paying customers, not something the users put in their profiles along with their genders and birthdays.

Posting links to articles on “white genocide” in a non-critical or laudatory manner is effectively though not explicitly saying one is a bigot and anti-Semite; FB’s staff and/or algorithm tagged the 100k+ users who did that without any of them having to explicitly post swastika avatars or announce that they were white supremacists (and hence anti-Semites and bigots).

As for the earlier incident where morons were explicitly identifying themselves as “Jew Haters” as an interest area/hobby, that got shut down quickly once it was exposed by Propublica, to no-one’s surprise. What wasn’t surprising was that they existed or that they were willing to let their hateful freak flags fly because FB is run by feckless greedheads who will only respond to shaming if it threatens the quarterly numbers.

I know, I know … these things are much less surprising to you when people just do you the courtesy of slapping an explicit label on their profiles, as they did in the earlier incident. But for people who study history (and for people who aren’t white) it’s not surprising to find out that those who don’t provide that convenience turn out to be bigots anyhow.

8 Likes

Um…

svg

…?

2 Likes

Truth in advertising? The Identitarian movement has great potential to lead us to a howling wasteland dominated by corporations.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Why in the world would you care so much about so minuscule a point when the subject is genocide?

3 Likes

I mean, there was that group of people in Charlottesville last year who went out of their way to walk around in public carrying torches and shouting things like “Jews will not replace us”… I would consider people who do that to be pretty explicitly putting “Jew hater” at or near the top of their “things that I am” list.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.