A Hyatt valet somehow parks a Porsche underneath an SUV in bizarre accident

I’m pretty sure these gentlemen know exactly what it means. One has an arm tattoo that says “WHITE”. You know, the guy wearing the “Confederate Reapers” club jacket.

All that said, they might also like Skynyrd.

I just looked them up, and it seems they are a local group, filled with local people…

Unknown

On their Facebook page:

Join our organization today. Contact us to find your local chapter. We accept everyone regardless of race, religion, color, or creed. Join us today.

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh… yep. Interesting that it doesn’t mention “gender”.

To be fair, perhaps nobody of any other race, religion, color or creed has applied, what with all the confederate flags, iron crosses, and skulls and stuff.

This is a rabbit hole that I wish I hadn’t looked into.

2 Likes

Last month I purchased a new Volvo V90CC station wagon. For the price of my wagon, you could buy TWO of that fancy, 13 year old Porsches. I trust a driver in that Porsche much more than I do a typical SUV, 97% of all 911s sold since 1964 are still on the road, that’s a testiment to how safe the are.

2 Likes

Yes, just look at it. 13 years old, stunningly beautiful, $35k. Rich people don’t own 13 year old Porsches, they either lease three year old or less, or more than thirty year old Porsches.

1 Like

I can’t say for sure what’s going on with the drivers you see, but I know of two things that might skew large truck purchases to white instead of black.

1. The manufacturers make a lot more of the white large-engine, load-towing trucks because they’re catering to their biggest market - construction and landscaping company fleet-type trucks. Logos and signage is worthless on dark paint jobs, and also the white color looks ‘tidier’ and neater, which is more reassuring to customers.

2. Black paint in a warm, sunny climate will cook your brains, and the ultraviolet light will devour the paint. Silver ‘ain’t so good’ in the sun, either, but it isn’t nearly as bad as black, navy, Forest Green, or red.

Your daily commute buddies got their white/silver pickups because they were last year’s models or second-hand. Black pickups are a kind of status symbol because it means you ordered it as a factory option when it was new, and it’s not last year’s model or from an ex-fleet re-sale. The black pickup owners are the ones who yell at their kids for getting thumbprints on it, they’re not going to risk a fender-bender.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed it before, that more than a few people on BoingBoing have little idea on who are the actual rich people, and thus a lot of unforgiving attitudes towards folks who don’t deserve it.

2 Likes

Well that sucks. Can the company get sued by the porsche guy for this?

Let alone use it for any kind of work…

1 Like

I’m a member of Porsche Club of America, the largest member automotive fan community in the world, most of us are older (I’m 55) and bought our first when we were first able to afford a low mileage pre-owned vehicle. There are a lot of people who treat themselves after a long career and generally own these vehicles for a very long time.
And there is a very specific word that describes the condition you are mentioning, prejudice. A little patience and knowledge goes a long way, indeed my first post on this described the car (997.1 C2S) which sold in droves when they first came out. Other than IMS issues that really drive this car’s price down sharply, high production numbers do the same. The funny thing about cars, even if they only made 1% as many of these as they made that model year’s Corollas, ten years from now almost every one of these will still be valuable and cherished, and the Toyotas will be virtually extinct and quite rare.

1 Like

I almost bought a Porsche for 1500GBP (though I would have had to pay a bit more for one not in dog-turd brown). It was a 924, which some people will claim isn’t a real Porsche, but the weight distribution means it handles remarkably well (as opposed to a 911 which will try to kill you) and the engine comes from a VW van which makes spares easy to find.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.