A Jew and his sandwich

Hunh. Easier than I thought.

It is super easy to make, and as long as you arenā€™t trying to perfectly copy a specific deli, very forgiving. It just takes time to cure.

I struggle with the rye bread though. I think the next batch is gonna have a teaspoon of molasses and use cake (low protein) flour as the base. Most of my ryes have just been too dense.

1 Like

Maybe less rye flour and more rye seeds? Cake flour just seems too fine. How about adding some baking powder?

I have experimentinā€™ to do, and luckily flour is cheap ;D. The powder idea isnā€™t half bad, a little more leavening might make a better crumb.

Eta

Why didnā€™t I think of this!?

Potato. The secret to the soft texture is potato.

2 Likes

Yes, Reinā€™s Deli. Always a mandatory stop when driving that corridor.
In addition to the sandwiches, they have the best dill pickles around.
Now, if I can just remember that place with the worldā€™s best whitefish salad, Iā€™d have a mealā€¦

I know its just like when I heard about celery!

It isnā€™t a big Sammie, but I did in 2009 to some small internet acclaim.

(Yep, its about me and my sandwich)

2 Likes

We drive it all the time and have never stopped. I think because itā€™s not even halfway and I have no interest in watching our children push a half eaten pickle around their plates while they complain about having to eat rye bread or that the chicken soup ā€œtastes weird.ā€

I can get that kind of behavior from them ten minutes away, why would I want to suffer on a road trip?

TL; DR: Kids are the worst.

1 Like

Right now, at this very moment I am sitting at a counter waiting on my pastrami rueben, thinking about everyone in this thread. My lime rickey is excellent today.

1 Like

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Keep it, please. Why do sandwiches in the US have to be so damn big?

That looks like about 10 meals.

Itā€™s actually just perspective, itā€™s about the quarter of the size youā€™d get at someplace like the Carnegie. Its easily one-handed. Looking at the loaf Iā€™d say the bread is about ten centimeters by thirteen centimetres.

2 Likes

Iā€™m English. I like stingy fillings. This is a sandwich:

(I donā€™t like cucumber sandwiches, but whateverā€¦)

2 Likes

My great-uncle told me he went to school with Dinah Shore; didnā€™t remember it was Hume-Fogg. I always figured Iā€™d just take his word for it. She still had a daytime talk show when I was a kid; among the guests were David Bowie and Iggy Pop (unfortunately, not when I was watching).

I just looked it up on Google Street View. I believe I ate there in 2001. It was definitely in that part of town (on Broadway if not West End Ave.), had glass bricks, etc. unless thereā€™s another deli in Nashville that meets that description. I remember liking it, but donā€™t remember what I had. I do remember that my great-aunt had the tongue sandwich, and my grandfather took the leftovers with him. I made the requisite joke, ā€œTongue sandwich? How do you tell which oneā€™s which?ā€

1 Like

It looks like the beginnings of a salad, stuck between two sponges.

4 Likes

Condolences.

6 Likes

Maybe try some semolina (1/4-1/2 cup)?

1 Like

1 Like

Iā€™m so over that Star movie; THIS is, a REAL heroā€™s quest. As Brooklynese transplants in the Bay Area, my wife and I desperately seek the flavors of home. The Birkenstockers of Berkeley have forced Saulā€™s, our local kosher-style deli, into the fat=flavor / lean= healthy dilemma. The results are wildly inconsistent. Sometimes almost there, other times flavorless leather. Even the color is strange.

1 Like