A judge blocked release of NYPD's misconduct database. ProPublica published it anyway

last I saw an ad for “the general”, they were aiming for the dui market. Fools! They don’t know that I’ve never been licensed.

I hope the records for the LAPD get released soon. Our DA Jackie Lacey has kept them shielded for too long.

4 Likes

Only 4,000 officially reported and substantiated complaints.

6 Likes

Less than a teacher.

15 Likes

Fair point.

8 Likes

I work in healthcare, in a hospital, and make less than $50k a year. If I were to commit a crime, I would go to jail. If it weren’t for the crimes, we wouldn’t be discussing their pay. But these people are committing what would be for us FELONIES, being found GUILTY, not going to jail, and moving up the ranks to make comfortable salaries.

16 Likes

Or maybe raise teacher pay?

7 Likes

Are you living in NYC?

Also did you completely miss the part where I said they are doing a terrible job? I’m talking about after defund and reform. When the people who should be doing mental health work are in place, they should be paid at least as much.

Y’all want to take away and fight over scraps. I want to defund, reform, and tax the ultra-wealthy to the point where we can have a real social safety net and public safety agencies actually practice public safety.

1 Like

Sure, but I’d support a state law that sets teacher pay at or equal to police pay, state-wide.

12 Likes

If you are a cop witnessing bad cops in action and do nothing, you are also a bad cop by my definition, even though you may have zero complaints against you. The number of bad cops in this scenario approaches 100%.

18 Likes

No, I want to put them in jail, now, all 4000, retroactively for every jailable offense on this list. Then I want to investigate which officers abetted them, and put them in jail too. Then I want them to be responsible for paying back all the lost revenue the cities paid out settling their claims.

Then I would like to dissolve their unions, completely. After that, maybe I won’t be concerned as much with their pay.

11 Likes

Had I the money.

After funds I plan to send to a number of candidates, I just don’t have the liquidity for non-profit press.

And again, that’s not what I was talking about so maybe read what I wrote. My point is people act like $150K is some crazy amount for anyone to make in NYC. When you jail all the cops and replace them with something else, what will you pay THOSE people. You think those people, who might actually to the RIGHT thing could live in NYC on $100K? Have you ever lived in NYC on that?

1 Like

They often say “it just a few bad apples”, but the rest of the saying is “… spoils the whole bunch”. They are using a saying that basically says yes, they are all guilty when a few of them are bad. LOL

5 Likes

Market forces won’t solve this problem, because it would be in the insurance companies’ interests to continue pushing the standard narrative that the police never committed any “malpractice” in the first place.

Remember, the DAs are on the same side as the cops. It’s hard to win a criminal or civil lawsuit against a cop when the laws are written to protect them and the people in charge of prosecutions consider them an indispensable part of the same team.

10 Likes

The discussion of salary is punitive here. If it weren’t for the environment of unabashed crime and victimization we wouldn’t be discussing it. Also, the main excuse to retain the unions is for collective bargaining. If the worst ones are making almost 200k, i am not sure they need the help.

5 Likes

and yes, without a doubt they are all responsible, either for direct actions or being aware and doing nothing.

6 Likes

Just guessing, but I’m sure that those substantiations weren’t easy ground balls; given the big blue wall, I’ll bet they had to be worked hard by many including over-worked public advocates and justifiably loud, angry, frustrated victims.

4 Likes

And would the average victim even make a complaint? When you look down the list of crimes, it’s dominated by crimes of intimidation. I don’t think it is a stretch to assume that the average victim is intimidated enough to not complain at all.

4 Likes

Let’s just say that I also think the 4000 figure is way too low.

3 Likes