A judge felt sorry for a hate crime racist who broke a black man's jaw so she went easy on him

hey now. no one in the sackler family will ever get jail time at all, despite all the death and misery they’re responsible for.

neither will executives at citibank or wells fargo for stealing people’s money and homes. murderous cops aren’t going to jail - even when the evidence is clear.

no, if we loved incarceration we’d be locking up all of them, and probably a whole bunch of kids too.

oh wait. we are sending kids to jail!? well, huh. what about that?

Between 2003 and 2013 the rate of youth committed to juvenile facilities fell by 47 percent… Despite this remarkable achievement, youth of color remain far more likely to be committed than white youth. The racial gap between black and white youth in increased by 15% [ over the same period ]

au contraire. we can see the judge did take into account his “background”, and we can see it fits into the well established statistical pattern that plagues our system: it’s called racism.

16 Likes

it certainly doesn’t when the recipients of judical largesse falls primarily on the same group of people least likely to wind up in the court room, or even arrested in the first place

do i want cops to shoot all people less? yes. but more importantly, i want them to stop killing black people with impunity. same goes for incarceration

#allconvictsmatter is not an effective stance when conviction and long sentences fall on one particular group disproportionately, nor when white racists are given disproportionately lesser sentences

6 Likes

thanks. i also encourage you to pickup the book i suggested if you haven’t before. it doesn’t seem you’re willing to acknowledge the racism behind sentencing in america, and so that book might give you a new perspective.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.