A kid got his tongue stuck in a juice bottle, and this doctor came up with a clever way to get it unstuck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/01/a-kid-got-his-tongue-stuck-in.html

8 Likes

'Tis the season (almost)…

Tongue-on-Pole-Christmas-Story

26 Likes

Its physics, bruh!! :rofl:

13 Likes

Wow, that sucks. (I write tongue in cheek.) Glad the doc & kid licked that problem.

27 Likes

Is that discoloration a giant tongue hicky?

5 Likes

The New York Post has a before picture:

4 Likes

Your puns have no taste, bud!

20 Likes

I’m amazed at the level of aftercare: overnight observation in the hospital! That would never happen on the US - here’s a script for prednisone, give the kid some OTC ibuprofen, and go to the ER if it looks bad when the office is closed. And then there’s the blind box of financial surprises for bringing the kid to the ER or after hours walk-in clinic; many families, even those with insurance, would have to think twice about that.

22 Likes

'Murica - fuck no! I’ll keep getting my healthcare in Canada.

6 Likes

This was on a rerun of Emergency! last week, brother in law gets his hand vaccu-stuck in a drain pipe while drunk husband berates him.

5 Likes

In Germany they learn how to hold their licker at an early age.

5 Likes

the boy had fully recovered.

I love happy endings.

8 Likes

Wish I could find the cartoon (think it was Far Side) with the two kids on the porch. One is completely inside a bottle, and the other kid is yelling, “Ma! He did it again!”

So please just imagine it.

13 Likes

I may just be of a particularly mopey and maudlin bent, but I always feel a little melancholy reading stories like this. A young child does something completely innocuous that nobody would even think twice about doing, and it ends up causing ridiculous amounts of pain, discomfort and trauma. That’s no way to be introduced to reality.

It reminds me of a news story (Wayback Machine link) I read a while back in 2003. A little girl in Florida takes a bite of a jawbreaker. It explodes in her face, causing severe burns. Evidently, Mythbusters did a mini-episode following another case. Evidently, if they’re heated (left in the sun, etc.) the insides can boil. An apparently harmess piece of candy. Explodes. In your face. How do you trust the world after something like that?

6 Likes

This fucking toy is my earliest memory

7 Likes

A partial vacuum? I would just get a blowtorch and heat that sucker up!

4 Likes

There was a kid in my high school who got his penis stuck in a shampoo bottle. Not sure how they got it out.

4 Likes

Cold shower?

7 Likes

Some say he’s still fucking that Prell bottle to this day.

11 Likes

Rather, it blew.

3 Likes