Teen with an embarrassing 'foul odor' coming from his nose found the mysterious culprit

Originally published at: Teen with an embarrassing 'foul odor' coming from his nose found the mysterious culprit | Boing Boing

6 Likes

That reminded of a kid who sat behind me in class in 5th grade. He was shot between the eyes with a bb gun and he had to see a plastic surgeon to get the pellet removed.

8 Likes

Oh dude, I could regale y’all with stories of foul and disgusting items retrieved from (mostly) noses. Some up there for weeks. The stench will clear the room in an instant. Horribly gross.

35 Likes

My mom has a genetic condition where she has very thin blood vessel walls in her nose.

My whole life, it’s been routine for her to get a nosebleed pretty much every single day. And she uses a balled up kleenex to plug her nose to stop it.

Well, when I was maybe 4 years old I copied that and ended up with a wadded up baby wipe jammed way up my schnozz far out of reach of any probing fingers.

Long story short, much crying and gnashing of teeth. Went to the hospital, got it pulled out by some shaky handed pediatrics student.

I can remember the disgusted tone of the guy saying to my folks “This wasn’t an emergency. I didn’t need to do this” and the resident physician going absolute maddog on that dumb kid’s ass in front of the nurse staff and my parents and everyone.

28 Likes

Obligatory…

17 Likes

As it should have been. Discounting pediatric issues is pretty standard fair in med schools, and being as pediatrics is a mandatory rotation, there are lots of med students there who have absolutely no interest in seeing kids and always seem to want to share their misery. Kids are tough and require a definite skill set, and if you lack those skills, you are gonna have a bad time there. But don’t blame the kids.

36 Likes

18 Likes

Did anybody ask this guy if he was told he was going to shoot his eye out when he was a kid?

13 Likes

Grooooooossssss.

5 Likes

I have also been shot by a BB gun when I was a kid.

Kids can be fucking assholes.

11 Likes

I’m snot falling for that one.

10 Likes

like this?

21 Likes

Thank god they didn’t do an MRI.

15 Likes

I’m confused. Was it a BB or a pellet? One’s likely a plated steel ball and the other is made of a lead alloy. They’re quite different things–and I’d expect their health impacts would be different as well.

4 Likes

A pellet up the nose? How does he smell?

5 Likes

Tell me about it. My friend group and I were pretty damned reckless. By the time we were ca. 15, we had completely dropped any pretense of safety and were having full-on battles with BB guns. The only rule was you couldn’t aim for the head. My friend still has a BB lodged in his ankle.

4 Likes

“Bad”

4 Likes

Good. I like the cut of resident physician’s jib.

11 Likes

(Checking over numerous body parts to see if I can find a lodged foreign object.)

Eh, would have saved them a return trip for removal.

5 Likes

A story about a teen being embarrassed is standard, but to add “odor” is a nice touch

1 Like