A woman took her gun to an MRI appointment. It shot her in the ass.

Originally published at: A woman took her gun to an MRI appointment. It shot her in the ass. | Boing Boing

10 Likes

She was lucky. Another idiot killed himself doing that back in January.

Did none of these people see Die Another Day and learn that MRIs and guns don’t mix well?

21 Likes

Clearly she was in for a brain scan.

Obviously.

17 Likes

Was the magnet OK?

That’s expensive precision hardware doing an important healthcare job here; it deserves safe operating conditions.

56 Likes

and as soon as the machine’s powerful magnets were turned on

Er, I thought they are always “on”. You have to super cool the magnet with liquid helium and you can’t just turn it “off”.

As someone who has been in an MRI machine A LOT of times, I still don’t know how this happens, because before going into the room, you change into a gown and underwear and put everything in a locker. Like how would you even conceal a firearm when it barely covers your butt? Why would you even bring it into the actual MRI room, even if you did have it on you before changing?

I read the report and it says “.In the process of entering the bore, the handgun was attracted to the magnet and fired a single round.” I thought it would have stuck onto the magnet if it was that close. And again, how would you begin to do that, were they not in a gown? What about zippers and such in your clothes?

I was always a little nervous somehow I had metal in me I didn’t know about. I swear I felt a tug/tingle with my platinum wedding ring, but it was probably just feeling vibrations.

11 Likes

I think we know the answer to that question…

12 Likes

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

9 Likes

What other explanation is there?

11 Likes

I am actually pretty sure I don’t want to know.

13 Likes

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

15 Likes

random palavers three:

• when i had an MRI i had to wear the embarrassing hospital gown kit which wouldn’t have allowed hiding a pea-shooter (so… wtf? “See icky discussions above”)

• MRI techs probably should have a TSA-esque metal detection wand for all the little metal bits that even forgetful, let alone idiotic, patients schlep about

• …was witness to a gas-cylinder cart actually be magnetically dragged about six meters to stick to the side of an NMR machine (a MRI machine’s laboratory cousin). quenched the magnet and was a mess generally. so i feel for the technicians even if they weren’t in the line of fire -sigh-

21 Likes

These frightened little people are more concerned with the possibility of having to “stand their ground” in the hospital or Applebee’s or Walmart.

16 Likes

In her defense, she really didn’t know how magnets work.

26 Likes

Not an excuse obviously, but leaving a loaded firearm unattended in a changing room is a safety issue of a different sort.

14 Likes

Sounds like someone who should be forever banned from owning a gun.

15 Likes

I dunno, maybe the problem here is toting one’s gun around to all sorts of places in which one does not need to be gun-totin’?

20 Likes

Not just that, the gun must have been aligned precisely so the bullet went into her butt cheek and out again. That’s probably not that easy to do to somebody who’s lying down, even if you’re actively trying for it. (Plus, we can only hope that after the projectile passed through the person’s posterior, it didn’t hit something delicate inside the MRI machine.)

4 Likes

It seems that entering armed in rooms where this equipment is connected is more common than we think.

6 Likes

Well they shouldn’t have brought it, period. But at least when I have gone, the lockers are locked, so if you were in that situation, it would still be secured. (People leave their phone, wallet, keys, purse, etc in there which would be bad if they were stolen.)

I guess people just have no idea how powerful those magnets are.

Also thinking about it, maybe if she had on leggings which have no metal, they would have let her wear it under the gown (it is cold in those rooms! Be sure to ask for the warm blankets if they don’t offer), and the elastic in them would be enough to carry it in.

5 Likes

She should be charged with a crime. This could have easily killed someone.

18 Likes