A woman took her gun to an MRI appointment. It shot her in the ass.

doctor who GIF

8 Likes

“Emotional Support Ferrite Escapes”.

Yeah, I think that’s today’s internet won.

(ETA although I’ve yet to hear of an emotional support slug, I’m sure it’s possible in the land of the free.)

19 Likes

IIRC they wanded me before my MRI. Seems like a sane prevention tactic because stupid gonna stupid.

8 Likes

Don’t they? Why not? If it keeps happening it’s not the users’ fault, it’s yours.

4 Likes

Why can’t MRI detect metal and stop doing the MRI thing? I mean, it must show up early and obviouosly, no?

or:

5 Likes

Good question. It only says:

The site reported that prior to the exam the patient had undergone a standard screening procedure for ferrous objects, which includes weapons specifically, and answered no to all screening questions.

This makes me wonder about the incidence of injuries from people who don’t bother disclosing things like metal plates or screws or other implants on the “screening questions”. I have to assume the possibilities are not as grisly as they sound.

6 Likes

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=16771275&pc=LNH

1 Like

It takes 30 min to ramp it down. There is an emergency off button that vents the liquid helium, but that would be pretty expensive to do if it was a non-emergency situation.

The wand would be a good idea, I wonder how often ferrous metal makes it in (most often it would NOT be a gun).

My biggest fear is having metal in my eye I don’t know about, but I think that would be pretty unlikely. I still think about it.

7 Likes

Ours used that exact wand for years before switching to a wall-mounted unit that you have to do a turn in front of before you enter the room. This makes precious little sense in today’s world.

16 Likes

Imagine being so afraid all the time that you bring a gun into a place where everyone’s job is to preserve your life.

18 Likes

Having been at a company who makes and support these, and walked the manufacturing floor, that was the first thing I thought of. They are way easier to break than you’d think.

Also, I can only assume she, personally not her insurance, is paying for any damages.

11 Likes

Gross negligence with a deadly weapon seems minimally applicable, though the fact that she injured a human (though that might be a tad generous) might allow for more serious charges as well.

Given how quick most insurance companies are at trying to figure out how to not pay for things they should pay for, I’d be really surprised if any insurance company was willing to shoulder the burden for this.

10 Likes

Negligent discharge of a firearm is a crime on most places, and then there’s reckless endangerment.

10 Likes

So afraid, or such an asshole. Could be either.

Certainly so stupid as to fail to fill out the form correctly or answer the question honestly.

(“The reason they are asking me this must be because they don’t respect mah freedums”. No, ma’am it’s to keep you safe and stop you destroying our very expensive machinery, which may help save your life.)

12 Likes

The only thing that can stop a badguy with a gun is a giant-ass magnet?

Or, per xkcd rules, a giant ass-magnet.

15 Likes

I was told with my mri that I didn’t have to take my ring off if I couldn’t get it off easily. Opted to leave it on, but it was a very strange feeling to have my ring buzzing and vibrating slightly the whole time from what I presume was some kind of eddy current.

I am amazed and disappointed every day that there are people stupider than I am.

8 Likes

I hadn’t really thought about this previously but this suggested the question:

No, it isn’t.

Even though lead is not magnetic it can interact slightly with magnetic fields. By moving a very strong magnet past a piece lead can actually cause the lead to move.

5 Likes

That sort of stuff should be in your medical history, but maybe it doesn’t work like that in the American system.

That aside, have we discovered a class of gun problem which actually can’t be solved by moar guns? That would be rather a facer to the NRA.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Just more generally, hospitals are almost universally no guns allowed. That means the entire building. Think before you carry!

4 Likes