A kid painted a nice mural at her high school. Angry parents called it witchcraft and left her in tears at a "hate fest" school board meeting

What a fucking nightmare. Poor kid.

13 Likes

Well put. This is why they have no political solutions, are terrified of what they wrought with Roe and can only speak in fear and threats. Their ideals are beyond reason and logic and must exist in a reptile-brain landscape that can’t see further than their own terrors and can’t perceive a future because it will inevitably be absent of them.

Unfortunately, that makes it the most dangerous moment. Their version of winning looks like wide scale repression of an ever-growing circle of those who are deemed threats. This eventually implodes, but can cause generations-long damage. It can also be shamed away by smarter, more empathetic people and a cultural movement toward tolerance. Either way, they always lose because what they’re trying to do is hold back a river with a tea strainer.

Exactly. Moral cowardice is infectious.

Edited for clarity.

23 Likes

“Not everyone is welcome. We will judge who is welcome and who is not, and what art is acceptable and what is not,” said

You and me both, kid.
You and me both.

If I were running an art college, I’d be contacting her with all due speed, inviting her to my campus while I scramble to get her a scholarship (if needed). She sees the future and puts hope in it. The hate-fest psychopaths do not–they merely fear it.

27 Likes

When people become convinced that Satan is involved, no amount of rational thinking can change their minds, because if you start to apply reason to the Bible you come away doubting its veracity. Voila’: “Satan.”

15 Likes

And that’s why these goons think they’re winning. They’re surrounded by other hate mongers because they scare off the children that don’t resemble them without seeing how blessed they are to have them. Instead of honoring and nurturing them (because no one nurtured them), they try to impose the hate and fears they were all too willing to accept at that age. Which makes them doubly resentful when the kids have the audacity to reject their narrow-mindedness. All that’s left are the weak of mind and spirit.

14 Likes

Ooooh yes.

You can stop the sentence right there.

source
Spoken by Antonio in The Merchant of Venice, written by William Shakespeare (1564-1616): “Mark you this, Bassanio, The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.”

Yours truly,
a human in Texas

26 Likes

So tired of these hateful assholes.

23 Likes

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

18 Likes

You say it well.

Trauma can create intergenerational damage.

Having the courage to call out parents (or people who raised you in an unhealthy way) is the beginning of being better parent material yourself. Among other things, the Bible has much to say on obeying one’s parents and IIUC to do so unquestioningly.

So many [older] human cultures have a completely different and I daresay more positive approach to how they value children. All children everywhere are our future, full stop.

ETA: punctuation

21 Likes

Charlie Yes GIF by zoefannet

12 Likes

The Hamsa is also a symbol in the Jewish faith representing protection, especially by the hand of God, both in it’s obvious iconography (it’s a friggin hand), but also because the symbol is similar to the first letter of one of the names of God. This makes usage makes sense, as one of the themes of the mural seems (to me at least) to be about protection from harm.

Which brings about the counterpoint - why aren’t these parents being called out on their blatantly Anti-Semitic attacks?

16 Likes

I hope to God - the real God, not the bullshit claptrap non-existent mutation these people worship - that you are right.

1 Like

The Bible was written by a rabble of various people with varying motivations which was then edited, partially deleted and selectively quoted over millennia. The parts that are ignored are often directly contradictory to authoritarian parenting as well as other sections of the bible.

“And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.” -Matthew 18:2-6 (yeesh, chill out Jesus. Maybe just get them some parenting classes)

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 18:10

“All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.” -Isiah 54:13 (emphasis mine 'cause that’s a badass line)

and maybe most relevant to this moment:

“Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12 (sounds a lot like what this young lady is doing, no?)

It’s also packed with gibberish and nonsense about “anointing” and militaristic language referring to children as weapons and soldiers, so ymmv.

12 Likes

Interesting question, and as a former resident of the area here is my guess at the answer - they don’t know it was a Jewish symbol, or they’d be on it like white on rice. The nearest synagogue is about 30 miles away, and I would be surprised to learn that there were more than 5 Jewish families in the whole county. (Sidebar - in the early 1970’s a Jewish family moved in down the street from my family, and Fremont reacted like Satan had just opened up a coffee shop.) Despite the Hispanic population in the area, these people probably don’t realize that symbolism either - they simply see it as a symbol of the Devil. Everything they don’t understand is a sign of the Devil. Anything outside of their tiny little personal sphere, anything that’s different from themselves or that doesn’t conform, is proof that Satan is among us. And I speak from the experience of living in the area for over 50 years.

15 Likes

Thanks for this.
I appreciate your willing heart to set me straight.

Weaponized religious dogma has long been the tool of oppression.

Oh that Timothy… seriously… calling it:

If someone spreads false teachings and does not agree with sound words (that is, those of our Lord Jesus Christ) and with the teaching that accords with godliness, he is conceited and understands nothing, but has an unhealthy interest in controversies and verbal disputes. This gives rise to envy, dissension, slanders, evil suspicions, and constant bickering by people corrupted in their minds and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a way of making a profit.

1 Timothy 6:3-5

I think the trouble usually starts when people fight about what “the truth” is.

Yes and.

Councils of Nicea etc. etc. etc.

14 Likes

“We’re opposed to hate material” Says the guy wearing the American Flag turned into a skull.

Is she selling t-shirts of her artwork? I’d love to buy one to help elevate her.

9 Likes

What Would Jesus Do?

He’d board the last train for the coast.

15 Likes

These people (often, they’re not even parents) are unable to affect the behavior they don’t like of grown-ups, so the arrive to publicly vent, which will hopefully intimidate grownups whose jobs depend upon the appearance of harmony.

4 Likes

My heart goes out to this girl. She has learned some painful lessons: Adults, including her parents apparently, are not going to support her. Her community is rotten. Their institutions of learning are only systems of control. Her creative talents, indeed her very thoughts, are a threat to them.

Forcing her to change her mural?

FUCK THAT SHIT

They think they’ve broken her. Hopefully instead she’s radicalized, and at least as angry as I am.

I’m fantasizing that school board ambush ended not in tears for her but instead a full-on Carrie bloodbath for those fuckers.

Incoherent rage :rage:

Yet again

23 Likes