A Knight Rider movie is happening

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/07/a-knight-rider-movie-is-happen.html

5 Likes

(Sadly, I think we can assume David Hasselhoff will not star.)

I’d be less sad about that than about William Daniels not starring. According to Teh Wiki he voiced K.I.T.T. for a Lego videogame in 2015, and his last credit is 2017. He’s only 93 now, so there’s no excuse not to hire him for the gig.

Daniels said in 1982, “My duties on Knight Rider are very simple. I do it in about an hour and a half. I’ve never met the cast. I haven’t even met the producer.”

22 Likes

35 Likes

Maybe the Hoff can play Devon Miles this time round; as an ageing Michael Knight fulfilling the mentor role.

12 Likes

What are they going to do to keep this fresh? In the 80s, something like KITT was fantasy level tech, never mentioned. Now it seems like self-driving cars are in the news every other day.

11 Likes

I loved “Knight Rider” as a kid, along with “Dukes of Hazzard”, “Battlestar Galactica”, “Fall Guy” and a whole slew of 80’s prime time shows. Then in the early 2000’s they started re-releasing these series on DVD. I thought this was great, I could immerse myself in the nostalgia of my childhood! So I rented the first two seasons of “Knight Rider” and began to binge.

I barely made it through the second disc. “Knight Rider” is bad. It’s a bad show. Badly written, poorly acted, awful production, I couldn’t believe how unwatchable it was.

So please, please don’t make this movie. Use the resources to make something new, something we’ve never seen before. Even an awful something-new would be better than a retread of something I now know was awful.

18 Likes

Sigh. There’s no new thing under the sun.

2 Likes

If I remember, they made a Knight Rider reboot (it technically might have been in the same timeline, I don’t recall, as I never actually saw it), and updated it by essentially making the cars into Transformers, with maybe some nanotech-type stuff thrown in. So I’m guessing that’s how they’d do it… except they already did. Oops.

5 Likes

Do you think the guy who drove the truck that KITT sometimes drove into knew about the whole thing or was he just hired to drive a truck around the desert for no reason?

11 Likes

In reality, or in the reality of the show?

7 Likes

Is the modern version of this a sentient Lime Scooter?

11 Likes

I think he was The Doctor, because that truck was clearly bigger on the inside.

12 Likes

Duh duh de duh, duh de da duh, dun de da Doo da Doo!

4 Likes

It’s not great, yes. It’s basically enjoyable trash.

Considering the technology available, the budgets, and the morals and fashions of the time it’s not that bad. There was certainly worse.

Speaking of nostalgia - I fondly remember having a childhood. You know, before entertainment megacorps decided to ruin it with endless recycling and re-imagining of its foundations.

I know, I know. They’re “bringing the joy to a new generation.”

“Bringing the joy to a new generation”, my arse. Cashing in as cheaply as possible, more like…

11 Likes

The thing i find more sad is that technically this is the 2nd reboot. They had already done a reboot of the show which did pretty average ratings-wise but was still crap, now they’re doing it again but with a movie and i imagine the results would be the same. I guess we’ll see how it turns out but honestly i don’t expect wanting to watch it.

5 Likes

Maybe they could stick them all in to a single film; Knight Rider/Dukes of Hazzard/Battle Star Galactica (the season set on Earth)/Fall Guy/Air Wolf/Charlies’ Angels/Manimal/Etc: A New Reblending.

13 Likes

Yes! A glorious mess only further enhanced by me completely missing out on “Manimal”! I almost asked how I could’ve missed it in the first place, but yikes, only on for 2 months in 1983. They couldn’t cancel that one fast enough.

8 Likes

Still waiting for the movie.

15 Likes
16 Likes

I think he had a thing for Bonnie and didn’t ask too many questions.

2 Likes