A large bowl and some peanut oil make a perfect live mousetrap

crisco and a kiddy pool! just who is going to get them out?

i was just wondering if one could use the 50gal bucket of lube in the skate park’s drop in pool bowl. i bet by the end of the day you’d have at least 20 skaters. live trap and release is so much more humane.

6 Likes

I lucked into the book way back when I was 12 or so and adored it. Farley Mowat gives his full recipe for cooking the mice in it. It also introduced me to the concept of scatology, which I found utterly hilarious (see age).

2 Likes

Another book for the Goodwill shopping list!

1 Like

Is it the depth of the oil that stops them just jumping out? Mice are very good jumpers.

I’m told that you store them in your Glirarium until they reach peak plumpness before eating.

1 Like

Statistically speaking, there are seven mouse balls in that bowl already.

2 Likes

All that peanut oil and mice?

In some areas of the world where the diet (for people) is desperately short on protein, this would be an acceptable nutritious meal.

2 Likes
  1. Profit!

Lack of traction

2 Likes

Funny I just had a thought about that movie today, hadn’t thought of it in years, and my thought was this -

that fella ate a lot of mouse poop

1 Like

I saw a PBS special on rats vs. humans, and it concluded by following this clan in India who have been the traditional rat catchers out in the farmlands. They ate the rats they caught in huge ad-hoc barbecue. They didn’t gut them, they didn’t skin them. Just - sploot! - onto a sharp twig and toasted over an open fire.

…not unlike when Delmar and Pete eat the “…whole gopher family” right before they get baptized in O Brother, Where Art Thou

2 Likes

Can confirm. I’ve snagged many a mouse with peanut butter. Not quite as instantly as your story but if I see signs of one and I put out the live trap with some PB I’m guaranteed to have one by morning.

I do like this bowl of oil idea though since the live trap only catches one at a time.

1 Like

Yes it does. I once used a broom to fish a raccoon out of an oil drum filled to about a foot or so with waste fryolator oil. He didn’t even hesitate. He latched onto that broom as soon as I lowered it and when I put him down outside the barrel he just waddled off towards the woods leaving a trail of grease across the country club’s nice parking lot. I’m sure he enjoyed licking himself clean.

2 Likes

This strikes me as much less humane than using normal mousetraps that kill them instantly.

He was quite popular with the ladies that night…

3 Likes

Which you only believe until the first time you hear one convulsing and squeaking in agony for ten minutes until you finally get up and get dressed and go find where its dragged itself off to so you can clobber it with a stick and get back to sleep. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

yes, but only for so long.

But, I’d argue that swimming until you can’t, then drowning, is probably not the most humane way of dealing with unwanted pests.

The tomcat traps do work well.

2 Likes

Except now you’ve got a bunch of slimy mice.

In the winter, mice tend to come into my house for refuge from the cold, despite the many cats we have. This past winter, there were 5 mice captured that I know of. Two did not fare well … the cats found them before I did. One, the cats found but I managed to wrestle it away from them before they did any bodily harm. The other two, we caught in plastic live-catch mousetraps before the cats were even aware of them.

Of the survivors, I put them in a tupperware, drove a couple miles away, and released them on their own recognizance. For all I know, a hawk swooped down and ate them once I had my back turned, but I figure I gave them all a fighting chance.

For the record, all the mice survived and were added to his family of “pet mice” that he uses to test non-kill traps.

1 Like

Are you sure that was meant for me? Was it the comment about shaking oily mice in a box of Cheerios to dry them off? Or the one about rats being excellent swimmers?

Oh, that just made me think of Willard.

I have a (not pet) snake that likes to sneak in when it gets hot out and cool himself on my tiles. I think it will be a few more summers before he’s big enough to swallow a mouse, but here’s hoping!