A live performance of 'Alice's Restaurant'

WTUE in Dayton, OH would do the same. Ever since I moved there in the 80’s.

1 Like

Some years ago, one Thanksgiving, a torrenting site had like 1 or 2 dozen different versions of this (in one torrent).

Arlo says he’s retired, there’s an Oct 23rd notice up on his website. I thought he’d already retired, but maybe it was “slowing down”, but that’s it.

I saw him three times, with Pete Seeger, with his backup band, and then in 2009 for my fiftieth birthday, with a lot of his family. He barely performed that last time, content to be the patriarch, something Woody never got to do.

1 Like

For me, local college radio station played it once in a while in the '80s. 6XFM, way up the dial at 106.9, Fanshaw College, London, Ontario. Sadly I’d forgotten their frequency. Very hard to find a station like that today.

1 Like

Well, Bing Crosby wasn’t current when I was a kid either but we still listen to “White Christmas” every year.

1 Like

I was able to lay hands on a version he did in which he made some changes-- pointing out that the erased sections of Nixon’s tapes were the same length as AR, and that he had sent a copy to Nixon-- you can fill in the rest. I love it as much as the original.

3 Likes

Sounds like this revisited version, although there are undoubtedly many bootleg variants:

1 Like

Hrm - I love this ditty, but that audio is so poor imma pass.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one. Good find!

1 Like
3 Likes

giphy (8)

2 Likes

Hey, at least we have Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is you.”

ASCAP Top 25 Holiday Songs of 2019

1. “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Meredith Willson (1951)
  2. “A Holly Jolly Christmas” by Johnny Marks (1962)
  3. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Walter Afanasieff (1994)
  4. “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Johnny Marks (1958)
  5. “Last Christmas” by George Michael (1984)
  6. “Sleigh Ride” by Leroy Anderson and Mitchell Parish (1948)
  7. “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” by Johnny Marks (1949)
  8. “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of The Year” by Edward Pola and George Wyle (1963)
  9. “Jingle Bell Rock” by Joseph Carleton Beal and James Ross Boothe (1958)
  10. “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” by Fred Coots and Haven Gillespie (1934)
  11. “Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow” by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne (1945)
  12. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Ralph Blane and Hugh Martin (1944)
  13. “Winter Wonderland” by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith (1934)
  14. “White Christmas” by Irving Berlin (1941)
  15. “The Christmas Song” by Mel Torme and Robert Wells (1946)
  16. “Here Comes Santa Claus (Down Santa Claus Lane)” by Oakley Haldeman and Gene Autry (1947)
  17. “Home for the Holidays” by Robert Allen and Al Stillman (1954)
  18. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” by Frank Loesser (1944)
  19. “Frosty the Snowman” by Steve Nelson and Walter E. Rollins (1950)
  20. “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano (1970)
  21. “Jingle Bells” by James Lord Pierpont; Frank Sinatra version arranged by Gordon Jenkins (ASCAP, 1958)
  22. “Santa Baby” by Joan Javits, Anthony Springer and Philip Springer (1953)
  23. “Underneath the Tree” by Kelly Clarkson and Gregory Kurstin (2013)
  24. “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” by Kim Gannon, Walter Ken and Buck Ram (1943)
  25. “Blue Christmas” by Billy Hayes and Jay Johnson (1949)

“It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” Takes Top Spot on 2019 ASCAP Holiday Songs Chart

EDIT: the median song is “Frosty the Snowman,” from seventy years ago

You gotta listen to hipper stations! Not all of them are focused on the older songs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.