A look at "Shore Leave," the extra-campy episode of Star Trek: TOS

Originally published at: A look at "Shore Leave," the extra-campy episode of Star Trek: TOS | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The Nextlander Watchcast podcast (people that used to be with Giant Bomb and left about a year or so ago) have been watching through the original series. It’s been a lot of fun and the episode for Shore Leave was very enjoyable. The biggest question that they were left with, as everyone should be, is “Was Gene Roddenberry super racist against the Irish? Because it seems to come up a lot”!

7 Likes

…and since we are talking about Theodore Sturgeon, I will recommend More Than Human as a very good read.

5 Likes

Here’s the thing though: it’s a good episode.

15 Likes

That’s a great point re: the representation of Irish in Star Trek. When I was a kid, watching Shore Leave (ass-kicking, bullying Finnegan), or The Naked Time (Riley taking over environmental systems whilst singing in auxiliary Engineering) enough times made a false impression on young me in regard to young Irish lads - avoid at all costs lest they become unhinged and put me in danger!

3 Likes

Not a lot wrong with that from my perspective.

I mean it definitely tracks my childhood.

3 Likes

It was a favorite of 12-year-old me.

2 Likes

It tickles me how many of my youtube subscriptions turn up on boingboing. I am a happy mutant.

2 Likes

Another good fun take on TOS is The Ensigns Log podcast. The first season or two follows two lower decks’ members of the Enterprise Crew.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.